New sewer inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to relocate my sewer inspection chamber due to a new extension I am building, can anyone tell me if there are there any regulations to take account of? Also, the new extension will contain a wet room/wc but the floor level will only be three inches above the outside ground level meaning the waste water pipe will emerge below ground. How do I build the remaining underground pipework to the inspection chamber?

Sponsored Links
once you have built your new chamber, which incidentally will need to be bedded on concrete, and completed all underground pipe work, you will need to partially backfill with pea gravel.

only fill half way up the pipes, so that they, and all the connections are still visible.

you will then need to ring building control to inspect all drainage.

you can then surround the pipe with pea gravel and backfill.

building control will not be happy that your outside floor level is not 150mm below d.p.c.

OP said what his interior floor was but not where the building DPC was. "but the floor level will only be three inches above the outside ground level"

Sound like he is going to have tanked walls where the interior floor is below DPC.

poorandbroke said:
How do I build the remaining underground pipework to the inspection chamber?

i think re-locating the i.c is going to be the hard part. if you don't know how to do this then your stuffed. if you use plastic underground drainage then it is all push fit, relatively light and diy friendly.

Sponsored Links
If you use a preformed plastic Inspection chamber and risers it doesn't have to go on a concrete base, it can be set and surrounded in pea gravel. You will have to take some levels to make sure you have enough run to be able to divert the sewer pipe around your proposed extension. Obviously the bigger the extension, the longer the pipe run and therefore the more difficult it is going to be to connect back into the original sewer run on the outfall side of the building. Plastic pipes definetely the best/easiest way to go, you might need band-seal/Fernco adaptors to connect the plastic pipe to the original sewer if it is old fireclay or cast pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back