New shower will only work with shower head on floor

Sponsored Links
It is a positive head pump. Such clearly states it needs 2m head.... Such, surprise surprise is where it starts to work when you lower the shower head.

Tell your installer to RTFM. ;)

Dan told you that on Monday

The head height is taken from the base of the cold water tank to the highest point, pipework in loft or the shower head.
If you haven't got a 2m head from these points there will not be enough flow through the pump to start it.
Why do installers not read instructions.

It is a positive head pump. Such clearly states it needs 2m head.... Such, surprise surprise is where it starts to work when you lower the shower head.

Tell your installer to RTFM. ;)

Dan told you that on Monday

The head height is taken from the base of the cold water tank to the highest point, pipework in loft or the shower head.
If you haven't got a 2m head from these points there will not be enough flow through the pump to start it.
Why do installers not read instructions.

Thanks, I didnt understand what he had written actually meant until I looked into a bit more, so was just writing it out as I understood it and asked if I was correct in my understanding.

How you have written it too now makes sense to me. And this is not how it has been installed. I would say I have 75cm - 100cm from the pump pipework to the cold water tank. If it was moved to airing cupboard shelf there should be 2m, its just a shame there wasnt the room for it to go on airing cupboard floor.

I will go back to the installer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
by sounds of it get your installer back to sort his installation out , drainage , pump and god knows what other problems , couldn't be bothered to read all posts if he installed all of it ,he needs to sort it , its not hard to read instructions . and prices for change of pump to negative is more than you expect i expect.

would say I have 75cm - 100cm from the pump pipework to the cold water tank. If it was moved to airing cupboard shelf there should be 2m, its just a shame there wasnt the room for it to go on airing cupboard floor
The problem is the distance from the cold water storage to the shower head. That's why the pump works when you lower the shower head to the floor.

Moving the pump will do nothing.

Moving the pump may work

Given that the pump is in the loft with vertical outlets I'd imagine the pipe work would be at least 500mm above the joists/rafters.
So if the pump was lowered in to the airing cupboard the pipe work could be dropped by @500mm gaining 0.5m of head

If swapped for a negative head pump could it remain in the loft in its current location approx 75-100cm away from cold water tank? Thanks

Pumps should not be fitted in lofts
I would only fit those pumps if the customer supplied them then when they leak it is not my problem.
I will only provide and fit S & T pumps link above

With the amount of problems you've had I would have thought you would want to get it right not penny pinch

Pumps should not be fitted in lofts
I would only fit those pumps if the customer supplied them then when they leak it is not my problem.
I will only provide and fit S & T pumps link above

With the amount of problems you've had I would have thought you would want to get it right not penny pinch

There isnt the room to fit it in the airing cupboard really. Why could a negative head not be fitted in the loft?

Is this the same one as yours in the link as its £150 cheaper? Thanks

https://www.bellabathrooms.co.uk/stuart-turner-monsoon-shower-pump-2-bar-twin-nh.html

Yes it is the same pump that is very close to the trade price that I pay
Pumps should be fitted at the base of the hot water cylinder to prevent air being drawn into the pump on the hot suction side
The cold supply should connect to the cold water tank on the side furthest from the ball valve to allow air free supply.
All pipework should be 22mm with full bore valves fitted and reducing to 15mm as close as possible to the shower valve

Hope that helps Steve

Thanks. There is definitely no space to go on the floor in the airing cupboard. It can either go on the shelf in airing cupboard or in the loft where existing one is.

Ordered the Stuart Turner Monsoon negative head twin pump and getting it installed on the shelf in the airing cupboard. Hopefully this resolves the issues. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back