New shower.....!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, following on from the shower cable saga, we're thinking that we might replace our electric shower once that is out of the way.

So, assuming the cable and protection is all suitable for the new shower, am I (DIYer) allowed to do this without notifying LABC?

If it needs to be cert'd then I guess I'll get that quoted for a later date.

Sponsored Links
You can carry out the following without notification : (c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

So instead of a New shower, you can have a replacement shower as long as the protective measures are unaffected.

So, assuming the cable and protection is all suitable for the new shower, am I (DIYer) allowed to do this without notifying LABC?

Replacement of an existing shower is not notifiable work.

However, the cable and protection you currently have is NOT suitable for a new shower, as there is no RCD. There is also the issue of the possibly damaged pull switch, and the consumer unit designed for a maximum 30A per way with a 40A device in it.

You have three choices:

1. Replace the shower only, so not notifiable. Unfortunately, this will not comply with the manufacturers instructions, so when it goes wrong, its tough titaniums. However it is not notifable.

2. New shower installed properly from a new CU with RCD, new cable, new switch, upgrade main & supplementary bonding as required. All notifiable works, and really the only sensible choice.

3. Keep what you have got and wait until something else melts / overheats / burns the house down.

Just to be clear, I will ensure that the current job is finished to a satisfactory standard before making any firm plans to change the shower.

So, the shower circuit will be certified and correct. I'm assuming that the shower we have currently won't need to be replaced. So, at a later date I may choose to replace that and was hoping that it would be a simple case of isolating the shower circuit, removing the old and replacing with a new shower unit.

Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you may replace the shower without notifying. No need for it to be like-for-like.

It probably won't be simple though, as there is a steering committee for shower makers which ensures that no two showers, even from the same manufacturer, have their electrical and water connections in the same places.

:LOL:

The water works can be moved, so I'll hope that the shower can be located wherever the electric supply is. No point worrying about this just now anyway, we'll be skint once the new CU is paid for so the new shower will have to wait.

BAS you are not joking, i have replaced two showers recently and had a hell of a job to match water inlet and cable inlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back