new sony at currys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i saw a new tv at currys today, the sony bravia ex603 40 inch , came out thursday and appears to be a good deal.£1200 reduced to £700, usual stuff inc.3 hdmi connections and i went into our local sony centre to compare and they dont appear to have it. ex503, 703, 803, 903 all except the 603.
i have,nt got a copy of hi-fi world to read a review yet, thats if the tv is checked over
does anybody have any info or opinions they would pass on
many thanks in advance
ps im just a chap that wants a good telly, you could walk rings around me talking features.i,ve just got my head around motionsound

Sponsored Links
40EX603 is listed on the Sony.co.uk web site. It is priced at £949 which I guess relates to the price on a Sony Center. Here's a LINK

As you say, it's LED, so it's very slim. The LEDs are arranged around the edge of the picture as most 1st generation LED back-light sets have been. The drawback of lighting the edge of the screen is that it's hard to get the light to spread evenly. It's referred to a "clouding." You'll notice the problem mostly on dark images when you are watching with some subdued room lighting.

The EX703 is pretty much the same spec; a few minor differences. My guess is that the 603 is designated for the big retail sheds and discounters - Comet & Currys etc - so that there's less pressure on the 703.

thanks for the reply chris.
i have read one review on the web by someone who was looking at the 603 and a 703 side by side and said there was no comparison as the 703 was much better he critizised the 603 for "bleeding", is this because its backlit?
the 703 is about £975 on average and the 603 is £699 at currys with an amazon web deal with vouchers for £645 somewhere else.
i suppose because its such a recent introduction its hard to get feedback although the manager at currys cannock claimed the company had shifted nearly 3500 units since thursday nationwide. the phrase pinch of salt comes to mind

Sponsored Links
YW :D
i have read one review on the web by someone who was looking at the 603 and a 703... he critizised the 603 for "bleeding"
I'd normally associate the word "bleed" with colour not being contained properly. Sort of like the kids drawings where they crayon over the lines. It's not something that I'd expect as a backlight issue. Perhaps if you posted a link?...

... the manager at currys cannock claimed the company had shifted nearly 3500 units since thursday nationwide. the phrase pinch of salt comes to mind
The TV is on a televised ad campaign, so who knows

i have read one review on the web by someone who was looking at the 603 and a 703... he critizised the 603 for "bleeding"
I'd normally associate the word "bleed" with colour not being contained properly. Sort of like the kids drawings where they crayon over the lines. It's not something that I'd expect as a backlight issue. Perhaps if you posted a link?...

You'd normally associate it wrong, then ;) When referring to displays, bleeding is an excess of light bleeding out from around the bezel (where the lights on most TFT displays are located).

See here: http://trappedinpurgatory.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/blb.jpg

You'd normally associate it wrong, then ;) When referring to displays, bleeding is an excess of light bleeding out from around the bezel (where the lights on most TFT displays are located)
Well I'd call that a problem with Uniformity ;)

hi guys thanks for your input, it helps to balance things up.on reflection i think that someone with my eyesight would probably struggle to notice the bleeding unless it was so poor then i would return it.
chris on sunday evenings post at 9.42 you start your post with a yw and a smiley, what is the yw for or what does it mean?

CRT TV last for years, as the phosphur in the vacuum is held in suspense. However LED TV's have to be powered by a backlit flo tube, that has a limited life. It's exactly the same as a flo tube in your kitchen, and can fail at any time. Plasma TV is even worse, as the Plasma runs out, and mates with itself.

So buying anything other than a CRT is BAD, unless you bought a Plasma TV, that will work for 5-10 years then break, so spend another £1000..as they are designed to break in that timeframe.

Got a 30 year old Bang and Olufsun here, better picture than HD, who's a mug? It really has a better picture than HD on a modern LCD.

Got a 30 year old Bang and Olufsun here, better picture than HD.

What exactly are you trying to say ? Are you claiming that an upscaled HD output looks better displayed on a 30 year old B & O than it does on a full HD LCD TV ? . :confused:

If you're saying that SD looks better on the B & O then you really are deluding yourself.......

who's a mug? It really has a better picture than HD on a modern LCD.
You tell me - If you're claiming that an upscaled HD output looks better displayed on a 30 year old B & O than it does on a full HD LCD TV then I think you might be fooling yourself but nobody else - Have you ever actually seen a decent HD picture ? ?

You appear to be irrationally anti Plasma, LCD, LED for some reason ! ! . :rolleyes:

CRT TV last for years, as the phosphur in the vacuum is held in suspense. However LED TV's have to be powered by a backlit flo tube
The better TVs now are using LED backlights instead of fluorescent ones for lower power and (hopefully) longer life.

Mickeymoody comes out with some really spurious stuff.

This is one of those rare occasions though where I can empathise with his point of view even if I disagree with his reasoning. Good CRT TVs are very forgiving. They can also look surprisingly good when there is a higher resolution source signal, despite the obvious limitation of the native resolution of the screen.

Got a 30 year old Bang and Olufsun here, better picture than HD.

What exactly are you trying to say ? Are you claiming that an upscaled HD output looks better displayed on a 30 year old B & O than it does on a full HD LCD TV ? . :confused:

If you're saying that SD looks better on the B & O then you really are deluding yourself.......

who's a mug? It really has a better picture than HD on a modern LCD.
You tell me - If you're claiming that an upscaled HD output looks better displayed on a 30 year old B & O than it does on a full HD LCD TV then I think you might be fooling yourself but nobody else - Have you ever actually seen a decent HD picture ? ?

You appear to be irrationally anti Plasma, LCD, LED for some reason ! ! . :rolleyes:

Have you ever owned anything that B & O made? A CRT, by a good manufacturer is always going to be better that a £150 Asda special, I've been watching one all night, my eyes hurt! LCD has pixels that fail, and LCD tubes that break, exactly the same as tubes in the kitchen..a Plasma, the Plasma escapes...and will fail before 5 years...a CRT lasts for decades, and better quality.

No I've never seen a good quality HD picture, the best I've seen, was on a CRT

And yet your CRT is physically incapable of displaying the full detail of a proper HD image.

And no, they don't use the same tubes as you use in your kitchen. Unless you light your kitchen with extremely small CCFLs, which I find unlikely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back