new sony at currys

Digital sources sound hollow, and precise, wheras analogue is more full, rounder, fuller sounds.

And the same effect can be achieved with a digital recording.

A digital TV picture is unnatural, a digital picture gets cut off at the slightest interference

I don't see how it looks unnatural. And no, it does not get 'cut off' at the slightest interference..

Does a record fail if it's scratched? NO

Does a CD fail if it's scratched YES

Incorrect on both accounts. Both vinyls and CDs display similar behaviour if scratched: You lose any data in the location of the scratch.

Was Betamax better than VHS, YES

Actually, you're right there.

Can you get a picture in bad weather via Sky? NO

Can you get a picture in bad weather via an antenna? YES

Can you get a picture on Digital TV via an antenna? NO

Can you get a picture on normal TV via an antenna? YES

Yes you can get Sky in bad weather. Yes you can get Freeview in bad weather. Whether satellite or terrestrial, if you have it set up properly, only the most severe weather should affect it. We do not get such weather in this country often.

Do LCD TV's work for longer than 5 years? NO

Do Plasma TV's work for longer than 5 years? NO

Both can easily last that long. You make it sound as if every single TV dies when it's five years old..

Would you prefer to watch a TV picture of poor quality, or a TV picture saying 'no signal being received?'

I'll continue to watch my good quality, reliable Freeview, and soon Freeview HD, from a properly installed antenna, no matter the weather. When there's actually something on television which is worth watching, of course. The rest of the time I spend in front of such a device will be spent watching the HD images your CRT is incapable of displaying.

Sponsored Links
Illogical post, with many incorrect points, but I WON'T use excessive posting quotes...

A record can be skipped with a scratch, a CD is unreadable.

You CAN'T receive Sky in bad weather.

LCD & Plasma CAN work for more than 5 years, but to date, most don't.

You watch HD via Freeview, I stand by my statement that my CRT TV is better quality, as you fail to mention upscalers working on poor bandwidth. My Panasonic TV cost over £1000, and the B&O TV that I have cost even more in it's day. NO LCD HD or Plasma is 1) Going to outlive them, or 2) Going to give a better quality picture, even on HD.

Continue to live in dreamland, bookmark me, and when your cheap setup fails, email me, and tell me you were wrong.

A record can be skipped with a scratch, a CD is unreadable.
Bull, you only lose the damaged data. If a CD gets scratched, you may end up with one ruined track, or just one small section of a track, or damage across multiple tracks. You don't, however, usually end up with an entirely unreadable CD. You can also repair most scratches on the underside of a CD.

You CAN'T receive Sky in bad weather.
Yes you can. VERY bad weather can interfere with the signal. I have yet to have issues with my dish.

LCD & Plasma CAN work for more than 5 years, but to date, most don't.
Would you say the same about TFT monitors?

You watch HD via Freeview, I stand by my statement that my CRT TV is better quality, as you fail to mention upscalers working on poor bandwidth.
HD channels use HD content. No upscaling is involved.

My Panasonic TV cost over £1000, and the B&O TV that I have cost even more in it's day. NO LCD HD or Plasma is 1) Going to outlive them, or 2) Going to give a better quality picture, even on HD.
So you're convinced it's flat out impossible for any LCD or Plasma technology display to be superior? That just makes you a fool.

Continue to live in dreamland, bookmark me, and when your cheap setup fails, email me, and tell me you were wrong.
My cheap setup? You know nothing of my setup. You continue to live in the 80s, I'll enjoy the real world.

Let's just end this here, as it's clear this will go on for a while otherwise.

Excessive quoting AGAIN, how can I reply to every point? My Sky system goes down when there is heavy rain. So point disproved. The Sky team have been and sorted it 3 times, so you are wrong.

If you have a scratch on a CD, then all data is lost, it won't be read, a record can be easily adjusted. Don't be daft.

HD channels use HD content? A normal picture is broadcast, and at source, it is upscaled to HD content. Thats what thousands of viewers have complained about. The picture that you receive via freeview isn't broadcast direct to you, but rebroadcast from sky/cable/whoever..

Plasma by definition, evaporates within 5 years, LCD uses LCD's that fail within 5 years..

By definition, anyone buying high end Plasma, or LCD equipment, is buying the cheap option. You get a good picture quality for a few years, but then the equipment fails, so the price paid, vs time spent viewing, is poor. And are they repairable? No.

So you are being sold something that isn't sustainable, isn't real, but you buy the technology to support it. It pays the bills of the manufacturers, and you 'believe' you get a better picture, but in reality..When will people see the truth?

Sponsored Links
If you have a scratch on a CD, then all data is lost, it won't be read

And I'll say it again: WRONG! When you scratch the bottom of a CD, no data is damaged unless you have an extremely deep scratch. The base of a CD is just a clear piece of polycarbonate. You can polish most scratches out. Even if you don't, the unscratched areas of the CD can usually be read and recovered. Just because your 20 year old CD player won't play that CD you've used as a frisbee doesn't mean scratched disks are entirely unrecoverable.

HD channels use HD content? A normal picture is broadcast, and at source, it is upscaled to HD content. Thats what thousands of viewers have complained about.

So what you're saying is there's no such thing as HD video? :rolleyes:

Ok, so I forgot they do upscale non-HD content to the HD channels so you don't need to switch to a non-HD channel. That doesn't change the fact that actual HD content is recorded, broadcast, and displayed at HD resolutions.

The picture that you receive via freeview isn't broadcast direct to you, but rebroadcast from sky/cable/whoever..

I actually laughed out loud at that.

If you have a scratch on a CD, then all data is lost, it won't be read

And I'll say it again: WRONG! When you scratch the bottom of a CD, no data is damaged unless you have an extremely deep scratch. The base of a CD is just a clear piece of polycarbonate. You can polish most scratches out. Even if you don't, the unscratched areas of the CD can usually be read and recovered. Just because your 20 year old CD player won't play that CD you've used as a frisbee doesn't mean scratched disks are entirely unrecoverable.

HD channels use HD content? A normal picture is broadcast, and at source, it is upscaled to HD content. Thats what thousands of viewers have complained about.

So what you're saying is there's no such thing as HD video? :rolleyes:

Ok, so I forgot they do upscale non-HD content to the HD channels so you don't need to switch to a non-HD channel. That doesn't change the fact that actual HD content is recorded, broadcast, and displayed at HD resolutions.

The picture that you receive via freeview isn't broadcast direct to you, but rebroadcast from sky/cable/whoever..

I actually laughed out loud at that.

You now actually annoyed me, as you continually mock me, and contracict me..with incorrect information.

You can break a CD into sections and it will still be read. If you scratch the TOP surface of the the CD disk, then it will fail to play completely, but a missing section, or a scratch on the lower section doesn't affect it's performance. However, a scratch on a record, can easily be skipped, by lifting the stylus.

TV broadcasters rebroadcast broadcasts in HD..they use machines to recode the broadcast into HD..are you a neanderthal? I told you this already? Can you not process information?

You laughed out loud when you found out that the signal that you get from freeview isn't pre-broadcast from Cable or Sky? No offense, but are you living in the real world, or have communication with 'people'? Welcome to the real world.

I don't think you have the knowledge of what HD, broadcasting, and relays really mean?

You now actually annoyed me, as you continually mock me, and contracict me..with incorrect information.

Perhaps I can annoy you into ceasing your anti-modern technology tirade and accepting that, in fact, modern HD content is of higher quality than what was available when your 30 year old TV was made and is far beyond what it's capable of properly displaying, no matter your personal opinion of what type of display looks better, and any concerns on lifetime?

You can break a CD into sections and it will still be read. If you scratch the TOP surface of the the CD disk, then it will fail to play completely, but a missing section, or a scratch on the lower section doesn't affect it's performance. However, a scratch on a record, can easily be skipped, by lifting the stylus.

Scratching the top surface is an accomplishment. It's still possible to recover data from the undamaged sections of the disk if you scratch the top surface.

TV broadcasters rebroadcast broadcasts in HD..they use machines to recode the broadcast into HD..are you a neanderthal? I told you this already? Can you not process information?

Are you? I've been talking about HD content. You've been talking about upscaled SD content. There's a huge difference, and for the purposes of HDTV, you completely ignore any and all SD or upscaled SD content. We are discussing HD. Upscaled content has no relevance.

You laughed out loud when you found out that the signal that you get from freeview isn't pre-broadcast from Cable or Sky?

I laugh at your suggestion that Freeview is rebroadcast from Cable or Sky. The broadcast is effectively simultaneous, terrestrial TV, Virgin Cable, and Sky, all get the shared channels at the same time from the same feed, and transmit it over their respective networks. This includes channels like Sky Three and Virgin 1.

I've heard enough BS..and will not comment further..in this thread..what a load of trot..! If someone is blind to technology, then, so be it.

Its got to be converted back to analogue, or are you a robot with digital eyes?

Its got to be converted back to analogue, or are you a robot with digital eyes?

So are you trying to suggest a fuzzy 576i picture is somehow better than a modern HD signal because our eyes aren't digital?

I'm not arguing about quality, just the fact that all sound and vision starts as analogue and finishes with analogue, and no electronics are perfect enough to convert it without loss.

And sending it through a load of analogue processing is any better for it?

Modern film is recorded digitally, edited digitally, and distributed digitally. This is far, far better than the analogue method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back