new staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm after someone's help, we are putting in a new staircase for a loft conversion. It will have a few stairs then a platform turnin right going up. Is there a set amount of stairs you are allowed before the turning platform? Or can you have as many as you want?

Also what is the rules and a good way of working the staircase out!?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
13 treads are the normal amount for an 8' ceiling (this can be nominally between 7' 10" & 8' 4" ish, in my experience) the important fact within the regs. is that both the going and rise of the treads are the same, that's to say all the treads should be same as each other, and all the risers should be the same as each other, in essence. Minor discrepancies can be overlooked, but that very much depends on you building control officer, some are strict - by the book. But if your stairs winding is only 90 deg. you don't have to have a half landing at all, I presume your either having the staircase made, or are going for a pre-made one? ...pinenot :)

Hi, thank you very much for getting back to me.

I can do some measurements tonight and come back here. i think the ceiling height is roughly 8 foot but then this will be higher as the loft floor will be increased.

I was wodering if there was a set amount of steps you have to have before a 90 degree turn on a platform so 3? or does this not matter?

we will have the staircase made for us i think, but i was just rying to work this out to make sure we can fit a staircase in the space that we have provided.

Thank you for replying.

There are no hard-and-fast rules for a staircase to a single-room loft conversion, other than that it is safe.
For setting it out, you should really get a staircase manufacturer to do this for you.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Yeah we will be, but for me to determine what room or where openings are I need to make sure it can fit.

Almost impossible to say without seeing a plan and section of the area where the staircase is to go.
But there are no set rules about how many steps before winders, or about the actual width of the stairs, or the size of tread and rise (though a tread much less than 200mm is likely to be uncomfortable to use).
What you do need to watch is that you have adequate headroom. Normally this is 2m vertically above the pitch line, but for loft conversions where space is tight, you can reduce this a little, but not too much.
Google Approved Document K, and all the relevant advice is there.

What build of walls will you be fitting the staircase in (I presume your fixing these to a wall(s) ...pinenot :)

Hi one or two walls and what are they made of, brick, concrete or timber?

Oh sorry, I can take pics and dimensions tonight, but it is brick walls, connected to two walls, the first3/4 stairs connecting to wall on the left then turning right the remaining stairs connecting to the left wall again.

hope that makes sense! ha

Stairbox have a good stair builder on their website (it's what I used to get an idea of what I wanted/sizes/etc), I had mine delivered from TK Stairs last night though. They were slightly cheaper and I had great service and delivery to be fair.

Hi.

The dimensions of the room are

10 ft long
8ft wide.
8ft ceiling height.. I guess around 9 or more once loft floor is in.

See the pics attached - the stairs will start roughly where the window is.
There will be a doorway to the left of the window.

they go up 3/4 stairs then turn right and go up.

would appreciate anyones thoughts.

thank you very much.

As long as the stairs you've designed fit in the space you have then that's all you need on that website as they make them to fit within building regs. Don't forget to include the depth of new floor joists plus floorboards/ply/chipboard/etc in your floor to floor height, you'll have trouble getting them to fit otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back