New System boiler

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all

I have my gas boiler for 20 years now so i have been lucky.
I want to research getting a new boiler in case my one has to be replaced.
3 bed sim1 with 9 rads so 18kw should do the job.
My question is do boilers come with a built-in deaerator and should i go for a stainless steal heat exchanger or aluminium. I have search on line without any luck.#

Cheers

Ray

Sponsored Links
I have my gas boiler for 20 years now so i have been lucky.
Why lucky? No reason why a properly installed and maintained boiler shouldn't last longer than this

I want to research getting a new boiler in case my one has to be replaced.
3 bed sim1 with 9 rads so 18kw should do the job.
You don't need 18kW with 9 rads, more like 9kW although generally the smallest boiler you'll find is around 12kW

My question is do boilers come with a built-in deaerator and should i go for a stainless steal heat exchanger or aluminium. I have search on line without any luck.
They have a basic auto air vent for clearing air from the pump, but that's it. Stainless is generally better

Cheers

Ray

Thanks Muggles.
I have been told that 20 years is a long time, i will not change for the sake of it i just want to have my homework done.
you mentioned that the boilers have a basic auto air vent is it a good idea to get a deaerator fitted also.
Also everyone i have spoken to said 18kw thanks for the information i will check it out.

Cheers

Ray

Boiler salesmen will try to tell you that even 10 years is a long time. If what you have is reliable, there's no sense in changing it. You won't ever see your money back in energy savings.

Yes, a proper deaerator such as a Spirovent or an IMI Zeparo is always a good idea. They remove microbubbles from the water, reducing the risk of corrosion.

You can use www.heat-engineer.com to do a proper heat loss survey on your home, but a rule of thumb of 1kW per existing radiator usually isn't far out. A 1.2m wide single panel or 0.6m wide double panel gives it about 1kW of heat

Sponsored Links
Thanks Muggles.
I have been told that 20 years is a long time, i will not change for the sake of it i just want to have my homework done.
you mentioned that the boilers have a basic auto air vent is it a good idea to get a deaerator fitted also.
Also everyone i have spoken to said 18kw thanks for the information i will check it out.

Cheers

Ray

muggles is right, however if you fit an 18kw boiler with decent controls (opentherm) and the boiler has a good modulation ratio then it wont be a problem

My sixpennyworth;

Have you a deairator at the moment and your boiler has lasted 20 years?
Is it a sealed system or have you a small feed and expansion cistern in the loft?
Stainless is better if you're going to run the system with underfloor heating or at low temperatures 24/7, ali is better if the radiators are running hot but if it's going to be a cool system ali needs better servicing. Guys like stainless because it's easier but that's the way things are going.
9 or 18 kW is only important for two weeks of the year, the heat load is much less for around 18 weeks of a typical 20 week heating season.

Thanks all for your reply's.
@vulcancontinental I have no idea if my current system has a deaerator don't know if they were around 20 years back the builder put the boiler in.
It is not a sealed system have the expansion tank in the attic.
What really bugs me is that when you get the professionals out they all say something different and contradict each other.

Thanks for all the information.

Cheers

Ray

You don't need 18kW with 9 rads, more like 9kW although generally the smallest boiler you'll find is around 12kW

My boiler is an 18Kw, with 9 radiators. It modulates right down, once it gets to temperature, the big advantage is spare capacity to rapidly heat the house up and the hot water.

I was going to write a correction to Harry's post above but I couldn't see it achieving anything positive.

Although I make a point of not advertising generally if you follow the link below you can register for a new webinar in July, Heating Optimization and Efficiency which may be of interest.

Normally our courses are only for Gas Safe installers but this might be of interest to the end user.

Nothing too technical just an explanation and examples of actual calculated heat loss in a variety of properties, range rating boilers, modulation and the non sequitur 'spare capacity.'

https://carrier.zoom.us/webinar/register/4015979243379/WN_ZXBPokfUTkCUbLgHL-ttDw

I have a Mynute 14se boiler

Well, as the Mynute SE is a Vokera boiler whatever you decide Vokera have an aluminium or stainless HE boiler model to replace the existing.

I think the only things that would not be readily available for your existing would be parts of the casing or chassis so you might get a few more years out of it too.

Last I heard though I thought the Irish Government were proposing to stop the installation of gas boilers for heat pumps.

Oh I have not heard that. The Heat Pumps I think cost a fortune they better have a large grant. Only think is the Irish government do a lot of talking but getting an actual decision/ ruling can take years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back