Draining a combi system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people.
Can you help? I need to drain my heating system to fit a vertical deaerator & dirt separator on my combi boiler as I keep having problems with the heat exchanger causing the hot water to run cold & hot. I was told to fit this as a cheaper option to having the system power flushed. Do I need to turn the gas off to drain and do I use an inhibitor, like Fernox ,on refill or not on a combi system. Cheers. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Before you do this, which will not solve your problem, get some advice from a proper heating engineer.

You have a soiled system which needs cleaning; funnily enough an air-separator is used to get air out of the system, not dirt.

If you are not quite sure how to drain the system, I would strongly recommend you get somebody to do the work for you as you are likely to do more harm than good.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gasman.
Actually the bit I wanted to put in was a Spirovent Dirt separator and aereator. If that didn't work I was going for a power flush which as you know is quite expensive.

Spirovents, magnacleans and all that are great to prevent problems, but I have got my doubts about solving problems.
A medium sized system with average corrosion would fill the magnaclean literally 100 times, IF the muck came out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back