new technology for car insurers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just watched the news this morning about the Tracking devices that firms like the Norwich are fitting to cars which inform them of where and when you are driving and according to the journalist, if you do a lot of motorway driving because it is safer than normal roads, that you will actually get cheaper insurance!! What got me was that he said it and still kept a straight face! :LOL: still the savings from the "cheaper insurance" can go towards paying for the costs of the device in the first place and you can be safe in the knowledge that they know all about your comings and goings in the car at all times, isnt technology wonderful! :)

Sponsored Links
One thing that I have pondered over before regarding insurance - If you stipulate that your vehicle is garaged overnight with a rottweiller asleep on the drivers seat :D Does this mean, that if one night you leave the car on the road and it's stolen - will they not pay out cos it wasn't locked up???

The other curiosity with insurance is that whenever I have told them I have a towbar fitted, this never seems to affect the insurance??? Yet I would have thought this would be of a greater significance than a lot of other modifications??? :rolleyes:

mildmanneredjanitor said:
One thing that I have pondered over before regarding insurance - If you stipulate that your vehicle is garaged overnight with a rottweiller asleep on the drivers seat :D Does this mean, that if one night you leave the car on the road and it's stolen - will they not pay out cos it wasn't locked up???

I asked about 'in locked garage overnight', according to Jordy lass on the phone, 6 months garaged is expected when 'in locked garage' specified by Policy.
You only have to ask ! Unless you are afraid that this will alert them to the fact that car is out side ..... ?
P

So, when it gets stolen they will ask "How many nights was it out of the garage this year sir?"... Just don't say more than 182.625. :LOL:

Thing is, they can't expect you to always keep it in the garage when you aren't driving it: what would you do when you get to the supermarket, not find a garage and go home? They could say "if within 100 yards of home, must be in a garage" but that would be silly.

Just so long as you can point to a garage, with room for a car in it (not full of junk) then I bet they would have to accept that as "normally in a garage".

Sponsored Links
Hmm... Why don't the NuLab types have the balls to say: Enough insurance rip off is enough, nationalise the insurance industry!

ZenStalinist said:
nationalise the insurance industry!
NO, with the way our government treats any form of revenue, we'd all be priced off the road! If the highways agency was a private firm, we'd either have cheaper road tax, or decent roads, or both.

Bring back anarchy, we just can't afford government anymore :evil:

Well, the insurance industry was running at a loss just 5 or 6 years ago! They make a pretty penny obviously, otherwise they wouldn't do it, but I know people who have had 3 or 4 accidents in the last 10 years... We're paying for them, as well as thieving scum who nick the cars, break in, or vandalise them.

I reckon we should have the New Zealand system: third party insurance is included in the cost of the petrol. It means people are unlikely to hit and run, as they are already covered (seeing as they had to buy petrol in the first place!). Comprehensive costs extra, of course.

Take care ... never presuppose any Insurance meanings ... If you feel it is not clear, seek guidance. Ins' companies know their business and the law, one should always clarify meanings when unsure.
If the premium is lower for 'car in locked garage overnight' then I suppose car would be expected to be in there and not constantly parked outside ... I suppose in law, if you had your £100k Lambo nicked from outside, overnight, there may be some negotiating on the payout !!

Sponsored Links
Back