New to the game

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all

I am new to the sparking game, i have completed my technical certificates but i am currently finishing my NVQ. Unfortunately my boss hasnt/isnt very helpful with the NVQ, none the less i am determined to complete it especially as i have had to pay for it myself.

So basically as im still learning and new to the trade i will be asking loads of questions.

I really would like to join a very active forum where i can get lots of info, so if this forum isnt aimed at people in the trade can someone point me in the direction of an active forum that is please? I will also be posting here to, but i just thought there might be somewhere else as well that you could recommend.

nb

Sponsored Links
Well if it's questions you want answering you will usually get a response. Make sure you know what you are asking and you will normally get a reply.
GL

You are right that this is aimed at the DIYer and recently I have seen derisive comments piled on 'qualified' people asking basic questions. Try here first and if you don't like the replies then a couple of alternate (and more gentle forums) would be:

The IET itself
http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/categories.cfm?catid=205&entercat=y

And also there will be a discussion forum for the body that you register with to allow you to notify your own work (eg NAPIT, NICEIC, etc).

You are right that this is aimed at the DIYer and recently I have seen derisive comments piled on 'qualified' people asking basic questions.

So its the same atmosphere as on site then? haha

Well like i said i am new to the game so i expect to ask lots of silly questions but i dont mind a bit of banter, so long as peolpe are helpful its all good

Try here first and if you don't like the replies then a couple of alternate (and more gentle forums) would be:

The IET itself
http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/categories.cfm?catid=205&entercat=y

And also there will be a discussion forum for the body that you register with to allow you to notify your own work (eg NAPIT, NICEIC, etc).

Ok sweet! I will post here and maybe try a couple others out at along the way, so long as the forum it active is should all be good.

nb

Sponsored Links
If you keep your questions coherent, logical and appropriate then you won't get too much flack and you will get good technical responses.

From what I observe, it is only those that come with themes something like these:

"I have my part p but need some help with a fuse blowing problem. After changing the fuse 8 times and trying bigger fuses, the problem persists.
I tested the whole circuit with my neon screwdriver and it looks fine. Could this be a consumer unit problem?

Or

"My electrician is on holiday and I just want be prepared for the rewire he will start next week. I'm trying to reduce costs by installing the consumer unit myself but of course I won't turn the power on. What (if any) precautions should I take when disconnecting the existing meter tails? Is it advisable to wear gloves? If so what material? My electrician will certify everything when he is back.

Or

"I am competent!!, I have a PhD in physics and two BTECs in very clever technical subjects, so don't tell me that I can't wire a ring-main myself even though I did initially connect the ends directly to the main service fuse. I've addressed that problem now by adding a switch. What is the point of this forum if all I get is stupid feedback saying that I am not competent!! I am competent!!!

You won't have a problem and the sport on here when such people "stray in" is great fun :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back