Apprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon my name is Stephen I am 31 and live in Darlington which is in the North East of England.

I have recently been made redundant from my Telecoms job at orange UK which will be official from July 1st. I have planned for redundancy as far back as 2007 when I decided to enrol on a HNC in Electronic and Electrical Engineering. I followed this up with a C&G 2330 level 2 and 3 in electrotechnical installations and a 17th edition 2382 course.

I do have redundancy cover on my mortgage for 1 year so my plan is to attempt to work with an electrician (for no pay) and in return complete my NVQ and gain some valuable experience.

I have picked up practical experience during my studies and on my own home examples include running a SWA supply from the house to the dettached garage , installing a lighting circuit in PVC conduit, changing surface mounted sockets to flush and running lighting supply to the loft.

The courses have been completed in my own time and at my own cost , I am hardworking and very determined to make a go of it and would like the opportunity to show what I can.

Thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Hi

The likely problem you may come accross is that although you have some experience in running cable etc and some qualifications, most sparks work on their own or in small teams and probably wouldnt be interested because it would cost them to train you, which they probably dont have time to do. Also there is employers liability insurance to consider.

Dont mean to sound pessimistic, Just being realistic.
Good luck anyway. I hope everything turns out ok.

lets see, someone to send out to the van for stuff, to lug stuff up 3 flights of stairs, to send out to get the bacon sarnies, to chase a thousand sockets into brick walls, to crawl under floors and across roof spaces...
and all for free...
all I have to do is to occasionally impart some of the wisdom and trade secrets passed down to me by the git that made me do all of the above?

sounds like a good deal..

If you were closer, or If I had any work on at the minute then I'd take you up on it..

Sponsored Links
Because taking his own insurance cover would be so difficult and all, i swear all society has to do these days is try and throw obstacles into each others way.

my plan is to attempt to work with an electrician (for no pay) and in return complete my NVQ and gain some valuable experience.
This is similar to what i'm doing (although i'm in full time shift work). I get work experience with a couple of sparks when i'm off and find it's a good way to get hands on experience. I started undertaking the required qualifications but found out very quickly that it's really important to get practuical experience too. Best bet is to ask/ring around for any sparks who would be willing to let you help out.

Use the year to your benefit to get a much experience as you can. This will also reaffirm if being a spark is definately what you want to do. If you enjoy doing what you're not getting paid for then you should be onto a winner ;). Never know there might be a job in it at the end of it if you're lucky. :)

Good evening please can you give me some advice

In reference to my OP I have found an electrical contractor who is willing to let me work voluntary in return for experience and the opportunity to complete my (NVQ). The company added me to there insurance policy there were no issues.

At present I currently have my C&G 2330 level 2&3
17th edition and im enrolled on the C&G 2391 in September however I have received a £1000 grant for a training course and would like advice on what you would do with in my situation.

Have you completed your HNC?
It is all fair working voluntary however that won't pay the bills :(

Hi Yes I have completed my HNC

I have unemployment insurance cover for 12 months

If you are being paid then I don't see why you shouldn't train up with that company - better check the smallprint of your policy tho to make sure that it is legit.
How did you find your HNC? More importantly, do you still have your assignments on pen drive :LOL:

you could try approaching some local charities with their own premises.

In some cases supporters/members who are qualified tradesmen do work for free, and will welcome a sensible helper.

I did that a while ago. Mostly I was rectifying faults found in PIRs prior to reinspection. Included reading and preparing some paperwork. The qualified person will want to examine your work. A lot of it is quite repetitive as the same things crop up time and again. I did a bit of 3-phase and submains and learned some interesting points I had not thought of.

I think you learn a lot from fixing other people's faults. You can also study the parts relevant to what you are doing. You will pick up tips about how to do stuff, that isn't in the books.

If you are being paid then I don't see why you shouldn't train up with that company - better check the smallprint of your policy tho to make sure that it is legit.
How did you find your HNC? More importantly, do you still have your assignments on pen drive :LOL:

Hi Spark 123

HNC was OK TBH I should have done the ONC first as I was a little out of my depth to begin with but with some hard work and some help from guys who I worked with who had completed the ONC&HNC's albeit many moons ago I started to get the hang of things.

It certainly prepared me for the C&G2330 level 2 theory anyway as it was a case of going from things like Thevinins theory & laplace transforms to Ohms law

Are you starting a HNC ? I will check my pen I did have things on there.

Just to clarify the work with this company is voluntary with a view to permanent employment.

This £1000 training grant , I know members of this forum hate these 5 day DI courses especially when people havent done any C&G courses. However as I have done these courses do you think I should do the DI course ? The company I will be working voluntary for are Retail, Commercial and Industrial but not domestic, however I have no guarantees of a job with this company so my plan is to pick up as much experience and qualification during this time and therefore would the DI course be a good thing to have on my CV when applying for jobs ?

you could try approaching some local charities with their own premises.

In some cases supporters/members who are qualified tradesmen do work for free, and will welcome a sensible helper.

I did that a while ago. Mostly I was rectifying faults found in PIRs prior to reinspection. Included reading and preparing some paperwork. The qualified person will want to examine your work. A lot of it is quite repetitive as the same things crop up time and again. I did a bit of 3-phase and submains and learned some interesting points I had not thought of.

I think you learn a lot from fixing other people's faults. You can also study the parts relevant to what you are doing. You will pick up tips about how to do stuff, that isn't in the books.

Thanks for the advice JD I will bear that in mind , I have however found a company that will take me on starting July 6th , first job will be at the hospital working with steel conduit and tray work. :)

It all sounds very fine.

The problem is that working for free means your "employer" is contravening the minimum wage legislation....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back