New Toilet Siphon Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've just replaced the siphon in my close coupled toilet. Unfortunately the joint between the siphon and the cistern is leaking. I've used the washer that came with the siphon (on the inside of the cistern) and tightened the big plastic nut to hand-tight plus a quarter turn, as instructed. So, I'm thinking I need to use some sealant under the washer. The original siphon had some sort of sealant applied, which I removed. It was sort of rubbery in texture - whoever originally installed the toilet used the same sealant around the (bottom) inlet and the overflow outlet. I'm wondering what i should use - clearly it needs to be something that can survive being submerged in water constantly. I didn't want to try normal bath/shower sealant because the stuff I removed didn't have that kind of texture. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did you make sure all of the old sealing material was removed before fitting the new washer.

I have never used any sealant on those syphon washers. Maybe it needs nipping up a bit.

A quick tip(maybe). Before fitting the cistern back onto the pan, fill it with water while supported over the pan bowl, leave for a few minutes, and then check for leaks. Saves having to take cistern off again.

I thought I cleaned the old stuff away as best I could but I'll check.

It may be the pessimist in me but I did have the sense to try some water in the cistern before reassembling to the pan. But thanks anyway.

Others seem to suggest LSX. Any comments?

Is it leaking all the time or just when it's flushed? The doughnut washers on close coupled WCs are prone to leaking after they've been dismantled. Favourite is to replace the doughnut but failing that a smear of sanitary silicone normally does the trick.

Sponsored Links
I haven't connected to the pan yet, so it's not the doughnut.

It's an Opella. I had no idea they have known faults. Can you give me a link to some?

Can anyone advise whether I should or could use LS-X? It says it's an external leak sealant, but I need something for inside the cistern to seal between the supplied rubber washer and the cistern itself.

Also anyone care to suggest, without me being able to show you, what was used in my cistern previously? It's white-ish (or more creamy now), and very rubbery. It doesn't feel like shower/bath sealant at all. Long shot without seeing it, I know, but no harm in trying.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back