New turf query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

After a couple weeks of preparation, I finally laid my new turf down in the back garden this evening.

I have a very quick question regarding walking on the turf.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not in any hurry to start walking on it anytime soon. However, what I am slightly concerned about is this;

Whilst laying the turf - especially towards the end of the process - I stepped some of the sections - albeit very briefly. Only for about 10 seconds or less. I was using a couple of old boards that I had lying around for the majority of the evening.

I've heard that if you walk on turf whilst you're laying it (or within a couple of weeks afterwards), that it can 'go black'. I didn't like the sound of this so thought I'd ask for some advice.

Am I looking like having to replace the areas in which I briefly walked on?

If anyone else has had a similar experience, did you find your grass went black?

Thanks,

V

Sponsored Links
It will be fine. It may leave a slight dip in the medium term but its not a big deal. Turf is almost indestructible. I have seen people 'firming' it in with a vibrating plate compactor when its too high and it didnt do it too much harm. In the long term it cant help the drainage but your light foot print is no big deal.

Sponsored Links
You can literally walk on it every day after laying it and chances are it'll be fine, unless you're talking lots of treading, running, football games etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back