new unvented cylinder - how to tell what the temp is?

OP are you saying that you have a THERMOMETER attached to your cylinder that reads in your bathroom? There is a difference between a thermometer and a thermostat

It is a thermostat that tells me the temperature of the water inside the cylinder. It is used to set the max temp of the water heating and is connected to the motorised valve, so when temp is reached, the boiler switches off. I can also use it to guage the water temp, e.g. turn it down a bit until the "reached" red light comes on indicating cylinder temp

Right, so it doesn't tell you the temperature, you set the required temperature, the heating warms the water until it reaches its set point... You just flick it up and down to estimate at what temperature your water is by means of the red light..... And this non IP rated thermostat is in your bathroom... Yes?

That's correct, it doesn't actually give me an accurate reading but a good idea of whether or not ther is enough water in the tank for a shower without having to put the heating on, or if it hasn't reached, knowing that i have to wait a bit longer for the shower. My solar control however, tells me exactly how hot the water is, so tend to use this if I need an exact temp reading.

Sponsored Links
Why bother ? the unvented cylinder will be well insulated loosing very little heat, leave the programmer on constant and you will never run out of hot water and the extra cost will be minimal if any.

A bit drastic, was hoping this system would save gas! Will the boiler heat it up faster than we can use it? If we have a big washing up session in the morning, I may have to wait for it to heat up to take a shower. How will I know when it is hot enough?

A decent unvented cylinder correctly installed should heat from cold in about half an hour so if you set your timer to heat the cylinder about an hour before your "Big wash" time and to run for the duration then you should always have hot water without having to mess about with switches. The cylinder is very well insulated and should save you when storing hot water

A decent unvented cylinder correctly installed should heat from cold in about half an hour so if you set your timer to heat the cylinder about an hour before your "Big wash" time and to run for the duration then you should always have hot water without having to mess about with switches. The cylinder is very well insulated and should save you when storing hot water

You may be right and I will never run out of hot water with this system, but I can only use as much water as it can store. If I use the stored water, there will be a delay while it heats up some more. I don't always have regular water use.

Sponsored Links
OK then, if your hours are irregular, leave your hot water switched on constantly.... as you use the water the themostat will cause the boiler to heat the water while you are using it.... If you have solar thermal then you should have the largest cylinder that you can physically fit to store as much heat as possible... What size cylinder are you having fitted?

OK then, if your hours are irregular, leave your hot water switched on constantly.... as you use the water the themostat will cause the boiler to heat the water while you are using it.... If you have solar thermal then you should have the largest cylinder that you can physically fit to store as much heat as possible... What size cylinder are you having fitted?

300lt, be good to use all the hot water up in the morning so the sun can heat it up in the day which is why I don't want to have the water on constantly.

What I origially asked was whether or not there is a way to monitor the temperature of the water in the cylinder.

The stat in the cylinder appears to be wired into the loom so I wonder if could I pick up a feed there?

im just intrigued at what the OP has now ! can we have a picture of current hot water controller?

so are you saying you turn the stat up and down all the time for different temperatures???

The OP seems a little vague about what she has. ( David a "Claire" is usually a female ! )

If its a normal solar cylinder with panels fitted the the solar heats the water from the bottom. The boiler tops up the heat in the top half and is usually timed to come on at sundown to enable maximum solar gain.

Washing should be timed to occur after midnight when bathing has finished so that all the daily water usage has taken place by the time the sun rises at 0530 so that the maximum solar heating can occur. Sometimes the washing machine is able to use off peak electricity then. Weirdos inhibit their freezers for the hour before the cheap rate period starts!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back