New upvc doors where to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to install 3 new doors 2 pvc and 1 composite. I am getting a cost of 1800 which is the cheapest.

Composite is 800
PVC are 500 each

But this guy will not include fitting which is costing me additional 500.
I have taken the same quote from 4 different places and all are about the same but I had a few questions

1) Is it ok to go with a door company just for doors and get someone else to fit it out. I have heard of some horror stories of when something goes wrong one blames the other and vice versa.

2) Is it very difficult to do it on your own, I am not an expert but I do keep doing DIY so i would just say I am ok on DIY stuff.

3) If I see companies online a lot of them are selling doors for about 600 for composite and 300+ for pvc's, why is there such a massive price difference, is there real compromise of quality.

4) lastly has anyone heard of eurocell and how there doors are, I am meeting someone from eurocell over the weekend for a quote.

Sponsored Links
1. Supply and fit is best for the guarantees. As you say things can get complicated if you mix and match.

2. Not overly difficult to fit them. The trickiest parts are the measuring and cutting out the old doors without doing lots of damage to plaster and render etc.

3. Those are approx cost prices for getting them straight from a factory. There are hundreds of factory's about, Some are good and some not so good. Without a trade account and good knowledge of the products it would be hard to know which you are dealing with.

4. Liniar and Eurocell are my Personal favorites (for PVC) To be honest most of the major brands are pretty much identical nowadays anyway. I just prefer the look and feel of the moldings on these 2 makes.

Basically price is mainly going to come down to where you live and how large the company is (bigger company's have more overheads) Try to go with someone local.

Thank you so much for all the replies
I Did find measuring tricky as its different from the outside part of wall and different on the inside part of the wall. This is just before and after the frame, would you know which one should I really be taking into account.

Like the frame is in middle, on the front of the frame size of wall specially the width is different and from the back or inside the size is different.

Sponsored Links
Thats the bit that takes years of practice to get perfect. You need to have seen enough of the same type of building to be able to guess how far in behind the plaster/render the frame goes.
You also need to know your product as different hinges will have different clearances to the edge of the frame. You dont want the hinge behind the plaster of course but you also need to take things like skirting boards into account.
Same goes for the cill and threshold depth, You dont want your door behind the carpet so it wont open.

I'm not saying it cant be DIY'ed but there are alot of thing to take into account alot of which will vary depending on the make of doors and the factory that puts them together.
Assuming all these doors are less than 50% glazed you wont have to worry about FENSA or building regulations at least.

It may be worth asking for quotes supply and fit but no making good. That way all the measuring and guarantees are covered but it would be half the labor for them. Making good usually takes longer than the fitting (unless they just slap plastic trims everywhere).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back