I have three T+E cables entering the rose and one twin
That appears normal

1 T+E is Live on reconnection to mains
There's your feed

1 Connects to second switch on wall and nowhere else
last one is the one that is confusing me

It is connected to Number1 switch at wall
This is where it is a bit odd:
You say that number one switch is for the kitchen. This, then is your kitchen switch cable. The red of this cable should be connected to the red of the feed.

The third cable would be expected to feed the outbuilding light and given that you appear to have a normal loop-in, last-in-circuit arrangement there, maybe you are mistaken in your deductions?

Wire from Number 1 switch also appears to have a circuit to the outside light.
Not sure what you mean by 'circuit' in this context? From what you've described it might be that you are misinterpretaing what you are measuring. I would expect your three cables at the kitchen to be feed into this position, feed on to the outside and switch wire. Is is possible that you have inadvertently connected your switch cables in series?

Study this diagram:

//wiki.diynot.com/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts

And imagine that your outbuildinglight is equivalent to the dining room one in the diagram.

Sponsored Links
Blokey said:
...one twin (no earth, looks to old and on testing does not appear to be connected to anything or forming a completed circuit so assumed to be redundant from an earlier installation)
Have you tested to see if this goes to the outside light? Alternatively, it could be the radial 'out' circuit from that rose.

1 T+E is Live on reconnection to mains
1 Connects to second switch on wall and nowhere else
last one is the one that is confusing me

It is connected to Number1 switch at wall
If this rose happened to be the end of the radial, then this wouldn't be at all confusing, would it?

By the way both switches checked for correct use
What does this mean?

Now my problem

Wire from Number 1 switch also appears to have a circuit to the outside light.
This seems to be an error.

The outside light has 2 T+E cables coming into it
You need to find the other end of those cables to determine their purpose.

Both reds have been linked with a chocbloc
Oh dear.

It would appear nothing is connected to the reds at the outside light but I would assume this could be down to me having disconnected everything at the rose.
This is why you need to trace those cables.

Before you disconnect anything else, draw a diagram (as dingbat first suggested) of the connections as they are now. Then, for each of the cables in the shed, connect the red and black together (with the power off!), and find the other end by continuity testing.

Sorry dingbat - I've done it again - not noticed your post before making mine.

Hopefully there's some useful thoughts in my post as well as yours.

Hello again chaps,

I would like to say a GREAT BIG THANK YOU for all the help today.

I have finally managed to get both lights working properly and totally independantly of each other.

I have worked out where I went wrong, by identifying the number one switch cable as the switch wire for the kitchen light when in fact, this turned out to be the switch wire for the outside light, I was indeed barking up a very wrong tree.

The very fact that you confirmed I had the correct wires and which ones I should recheck has saved me from an expensive call out together with a beating from the missus so once again many thanks.

BTW the "spare" twin cable still appears not to affect any thing in the house, I have checked all electical connections and nothing has stopped working so it has been taped up and tucked out of site until something tells me otherwise.

Sponsored Links
No worries dingbat - it was a very good result indeed. Almost like teamwork. ;)

Yep, that’s team work, one person does the work while the others criticise. When it works it's high fives all round ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back