New value BS1362 fuse

I did a quick short circuit test in a socket with a relatively low PSCC, it failed as one of the caps blew off.
echo fusepop.jpg

Sponsored Links
I did a quick short circuit test in a socket with a relatively low PSCC, it failed as one of the caps blew off.
Well, I presume that it interrupted the circuit, so some might not call it a failure :) ... but it's a rather odd failure mode. Was the fuse in a plug? (I wouldn't have thought that many plugs would afford an opportunity for the cap to blow off!). Have you tried the same with a 'proper' 13A fuse?

Kind Regards, John

Yes fuse was in plug, 13A fuse did not blow apart.
Fair enough. I must say that I'm not sure what features will make a fuse blow apart when faced with very high currents - or what I could do (other than putting gunpowder, rather than sand, inside it!) if, for whatever reason, I wanted to design one that would!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fit the end cap loose, and use damp sand!
I may be wrong, but I'm not convinced that the end caps are necessarily all that well attached. I suppose that damp sand might well do it, but I'm not sure why anyone would use that (no cheaper than dry sand!)!

Kind Regards, John

Probably loose caps, though I couldn't pull them off by hand like you can in the really awful ones. I imagine it must be quite hard to contain the blast in large fuses rated in Ks of amps or where fault currents are extreme. I have a 63A 12KV fuse here it is really heavy, the ceramic tube must be quite thick.
echo big fuse.jpg

I may be wrong, but I'm not convinced that the end caps are necessarily all that well attached. I suppose that damp sand might well do it, but I'm not sure why anyone would use that (no cheaper than dry sand!)!

Kind Regards, John
It costs money to keep sand dry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back