New value BS1362 fuse

Why would anyone want one?

I realise it may satisfy a need but there is nothing in which you could acceptably fit one.

If you are going to make something, make it for a BS1361 20A fuse.

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone want one? I realise it may satisfy a need but there is nothing in which you could acceptably fit one.
Totally agreed, but there are undoubtedly some people out there who are more concerned about their wish to 'satisfy a need' than to do something which is 'acceptable' - even given the inherent dangers (of which they may, or may not, be aware) of doing otherwise.

As I don't need to tell you, there are markets (often 'black') for any number of things which are 'unacceptable' and/or dangerous and/or illegal.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think they care less about the quality. They will build it as cheaply as they possibly can, regardless.

Sponsored Links
I cannot find the information now but some time around 2006 there were some ""BS1362 fuses"" with plastic tubes.

If JohnD was telling the truth (rather than 'joking'), we know of at least 2 of the 40 sets that were not "actually bought to be used". It would not surprise me if there were more that were bought for similar reasons.

Kind Regards, John

Ha ha. I recall when i were a lad that the farm I worked on had one of those Pickhill Bantam oil-filled welders that went up to a nominal 180A - even I could glue thick stuff together with that would up :mrgreen: The farmer's brother (also a farmer) had the same welder, and a long extension lead - I'd guess it would have been something like 1.5mm² rubber - with Duraplug(?) rubber plug and socket on. Now I'm sure the plugs on both welder and extension lead probably had a bit of 1/4" bolt in - how else could you run a welder like that :rolleyes:
One day the rubber ceased to be a socket, along with the plug. I saw the result - a bit of flex with "blobs" of brass on the ends, and the socket casing peeled back like a banana.

Same farm also had someone forget about the tractor tyre they were blowing up. When they remembered and went back, the compressor was blowing off the relief valve, and no-one was daft or brave enough to go in the garage to switch it off. I think they switched off the supply at the house and left it a couple of hours. I know I wouldn't want to go anywhere near a tractor tyre with 100+ PSI in it :eek:

Just as a bizarre side note, 3 days before this thread started I ordered a replacement rotary encoder for one of my remote controls, it turned out the only source I could find was on ebay, from the same seller who is selling these fuses...

It's the type of rotary selector switch used in all sorts of modern electronics such as DAB radios the control knob on modern car radios etc. I hate them so much as they are very unreliable, I have replaced 8 in various things this year. The usual fault is one clockwise click moves on one position, the next clockwise movement moves it back again and so on so you get nowhere, it is the most frustrating thing.

The ones in the link are posh industrial versions, I'm talking about the cheap version used in domestic products!
alps_stec12e07_encoder.jpg

It's the type of rotary selector switch used in all sorts of modern electronics ...
Oh, I see. I'm familiar with them but have never seen a remote control with one (indeed, I've never seen a remote control which has anything other than 'buttons to press') - so assumed that you were talking about something different.

In some dusty corner, I've got a whole box of rotary whatsits which give BCD output!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back