New variants of Covid

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Encouraging news. Now that UK has vaccinated over 20 million people, we should soon see if this early report holds true.

"Covid-19 variants may be less dangerous to vaccinated people and recovered patients than previously thought, according to researchers who found that the human body produces a strong cellular immune response to some of the most worrying new strains.

The US study, conducted by researchers at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology and the University of California, identified that T-cell responses in patients who had been vaccinated or previously infected were just as robust when faced with new variants of Covid-19 — including those first identified in Kent, Brazil, South Africa and California."

https://www.ft.com/content/16a2bea8-457e-4d7d-9f5b-15b31ddd89c0

Sponsored Links
If you watched the horizon programme on TV the chap there (I forget his qualifications) said that it was inevitable that the virus would mutate to something the vaccines would be ineffective against, which was a bit depressing.

If you watched the horizon programme on TV the chap there (I forget his qualifications) said that it was inevitable that the virus would mutate to something the vaccines would be ineffective against, which was a bit depressing.
Aren't the flu jabs developed with the bug from the year before ? It would be nigh on impossible to develop a vaccine for the unknown.

Sponsored Links
Aren't the flu jabs developed with the bug from the year before ? It would be nigh on impossible to develop a vaccine for the unknown.

And yet the study I referenced shows protection against new variants.

Is the study wrong? Or the guess?

It will be fairly easy to see if the 20million do better than the rest.

unknown new variants

obviously nobody knows it it protects against unknown variants.

Perhaps there is a clue in the text:
"just as robust when faced with new variants of Covid-19 — including those first identified in Kent, Brazil, South Africa and California."

Sponsored Links
Back