New washer and air - radiator help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C4DC23EE-8C7A-497B-B56D-43C67875CE28.jpeg
Hello, I have a radiator which isn’t very warm in the baby to be’s room. Unfortunately the washes are old and I have opened the top left valve and after closing it’s dropping a little and some of washer broke away. Hopefully my attached photo is visible.
Is anyone familiar with these caps that could give advice? The washer seems to be 3 cm wide. Does anyone know which washers are required, should these old caps be replaced by modern ones? How to get potential air out of radiator?

Thanks

Gordon

Sponsored Links
Would you need to put a washer on first the the plug?

1. They are radiator vents and blanking plugs. One end will have the square headed screw in it, the other will be plain. Have a look at Screwfix Item No. 40972.
2. If you want to change them:
2a. Turn off the radiator valves at each of the left and right hand ends of the bottom of the radiator. For either which is NOT a thermostatic valve, count the number of 1/8th turns required to close it.
2b. Undo the screw in the vent (the square headed screw in your picture). A little water will come out, and is likely to be black. It will discolour anything it touches, so plenty of old towels at the ready to catch it. If the water does not stop coming out after, say 30 seconds, one or both of the radiator valves aren't sealing properly. Do the screw up again and best get a plumber.
2c. Unscrew the whole vent with a spanner on the flats of the big hexagon nut around the vent screw. Again prepare for more dirty water, bit more this time but won't be a huge amount.
2d. Do the same with the plug at the other end.
2e. Clean up all the rust with a wire brush and / or medium grade sandpaper / emery cloth to get a reasonably smooth, clean, surface on the end of the radiator.
2f. Screw the new vent and plug in place. do them up firm hand tight then about another 1/3rd of a turn with a spanner. They have rubber O rings to seal against the end of the radiator body.
2g. Make sure the vent is screwed in, then open the radiator valves. Open them to the same positions as previously.
2h. Check for leaks where the new plugs have been screwed in. If any slight weeps, tighten them a bit more.
2i. Bleed the radiator of air. If you have a combi or system boiler with no small tank in the loft, you will have to re-pressurise the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Oldbuffering your a legend! Really helpful advice and so thorough thanks! Is there an equivalent plug in Screwfix for bleeding? Sorry for taking your time but I couldn’t see it.

Ahhh you get both plugs in set. He even explained it and it went over my head. Thanks guys ☺️

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back