New washing machine base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed my new washing machine. Are there any merits or disadvantage to leave it sitting on the polystyrene base that comes with the machine as packaging rather than on bare floor? I have heard some machines makes a lot of noise and vibration. Would it reduce this as well as wear and tear on the machine by not sitting it on bare floor?

Sponsored Links
Lots of reasons to remove it from the transport packaging suffice to say it is not a good idea to leave it on the polystyrene packaging.

The noise they make from vibrations depends on the floor they are put on, how you load and use the machine, quality and build of the machine. Is the machine level and what sort of surrounding it has.

It's on a solid ground floor. On lino tiles, some of which are loose so I have put a carpet over it. Not very even. The stylofoam base seems to be quite strong and make it easier for me to move the machine around.

I don't think the polystyrene base would last too long, if its biffed by a vacuum cleaner etc, and the base would make the machine a bit higher, if a worktop is involved.
Engineering wise, it could interfere with ventilation to the motor but I'm not sure if thats relevant.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've decided to remove the polystyrene foam. Had a look underneath and notice that the motor is resting on it. I would not want it to over heat.

As I said too many reasons to list for removing the packaging.

Suffice to say it could cost you a new machine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back