New washing machine - need to cap off disued hot feed

To save faffing about go buy yoursel a 15mm kuterlite stopend, shut off the hot water, open tap to make sure its off, with a shifter and a pair o gordons undo the 15mm nut at the WM valve and put the stopend on and tighten:)

Turn on water again and test for leaks.

Sponsored Links
Thats a 1/2 inch cap you have and is no use. If you can't get a 3/4 cap get a 15mm compression blank (stop) end and remove the valve (use the existing nut and ring from the valve).
The valve does look as if it is not fully off.

3/4in bore pipe gives thread diam = 1.041ins
7/8in bore pipe gives thresd diam = 1.189ins
1in bore pipe gives thread diam = 1.309 ins

I'll keep that in mind :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Golly gosh! If the hot valve is letting by anyway then it needs to go in the bin, so shut off the water and loosen the backnut off the valve , and fit a 1/2 inch blanking cap onto the backnut and olive. Job done, and more reliable in the long term, as those valves can drip out of the operating screw.

the photo looks like a bog standard 15mm washing machine valve , which has a 3/4" BSP end for the hose, (someone said it might be 1" but the perspective in the photo shows it as a "normal" valve), so it comes back to are you sure it is a 3/4" cap :oops: do us a favour and take another pic with the brass nut next to the valve, or if you just want to get the job done, but a 15mm compression balnk, turn off your hot water, make sure it is properly off, remove the washing machine valve and tighten your new blank cap onto the nut and olive from the valve

Yes of course i've tried to screw it on!! :D Its farrrr too small.

Just to be clear, i'm trying to fit this cap to the part of the isolating valve that once was attached to the red plastic washing machine hose. As you can see in that top pic, that is about 1" in diameter, the cap i was advised to get at the plumbase shop is about 22mm wide.

We all know exactly what you're trying to do, and if it's about 22mm wide then it's definitely a 1/2" cap, back to the merchants with you and get a 3/4"

Cut the hot water hose,and pull it thru the nut. You need the red nut and washer.

Place a ten pence piece in the nut,then then existing washer,tighten onto valve. Job done

Get a branch off a tree. Trim it down to the appropriate diameter and wedge it hard inside the cut hose; whack it with a hammer. It should only drip a little after that. I've seen this trick done in India.

I am in the same position and wondering why washing machines no long have hot tap hoses.

Anyway, I had a new washing machine installed today so the hot water connection is switched off, but it needs a cap to stop it and make it safe completely.

I have read the responses, and wonder if this item is what I need?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9265155

I have pretty much no idea at all about plumbing.

Unfortunately the picture on the B&Q website does not show the inside of it, so will it have a screw thread or not?

I just want a cap that can screw onto the connection. I am not going to alter things by cutting the pipe or anything, as it is a council property and I would not want to get into trouble if anything was done wrong or against the council's rules.

yes that is the cap that you need to cap off a washing machine tap, 3/4 female thread. The reason that washing machines only have cold fill nowadays is that it generally takes less time to fill the machine than it does to get the hot water from the airing cupboard to the kitchen, all that you are doing is putting hot water in the pipes.[/quote]

FFS go to a plumbers merchant and ask for a cap end for a washing machine valve, jeez

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back