New window opening

M

marsaday

I want to make a new window opening in my solid brick wall.

The opening is 1450mm tall by 630mm wide.

Will i need to prop head or can i just break through the wall from the bottom and build it up as i go. the idea is to lay the cill and work up to the lintel which i will form in a curve of bricks to match what i have already. i have made a template for this small curve.

Sponsored Links
Depending on what is above it you will allmost certainly need to prop the wall above and fit your lintol before doing anything else. You will also have to have building regs approval if you are not using a Fensa registered installer.

Most people including myself have and will cut out up to a standard door opening size in brickwork before propping it, but for obvious reasons people will not recommend doing it to someone else.

You are obviously better off cutting it than simply knocking it out as it puts less stress on the joints.

i want to knock it out and get a good fit.

it is a gable end and has loads of bricks above it.

can i prop from the inside. i have removed all the plaster in the bathroom wall where the window is going.

BC are sorted.

Sponsored Links
You will form the outer leaf arch using snap headers so they don't carry on through to the inner leaf.

You can use a p.c.c. lintel for the inner leaf located just above the arch peak and make good the shape of the arch with studding.

I understand it is a solid brick wall but you may be better off doing it this way.

View media item 9477
Enclosed is a pic of the window i want to make. it is exactly the same, just higher up the wall.

I think this is how they are made already noseall. You have the little arch formed with bricks laid vertically and on the internal leaf you have a wooden lintel.

i intend to copy this and use a concrete lintel. is this what you mean?

Another question. Can i prop the window off my scaffolding? I am going to struggle to do it internally as the sink is right in the middle of where the acro would go.

if not i will have to remove the sink to prop it internally.

In the image you are showing the bricks in a 'soldier' arch, therefore these bricks are a single skin entity and can not transfer to the inner leaf.

So yes, base this on my principal. i.e. soldier header arch externally with a p.c.c. internally.

You can't really prop things off scaffold as it moves when anyone is on it or a even stiff wind will sway it a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back