New windows and toughened glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Final design for new windows arrived today. Its a local double glazing company, who came reccomended.

I will ask them questions tomorrow although appreciate an unbiased opinion.

Toughened glass has been included for the back door, large landing window and front room windows.

This is confusing me.

The front room has a 3 pane (6 including fans) window affair thats 1900 tall, 1500 wide. This exact configuration is in the dining room and front facing upstairs bedrooms. So looking at the front of the house there's 4 identical windows in each corner of the building, each with 3 panes (6 including fans)

The front room bay has similar scale, although, 5 window (10 including fans).

All have internal cills 700 high with sightlines at 820.

The windows in the room (3 pane front facing and 5 pane bay) are toughened glass. The other sets of identical 3 pane windows are not, despite being the same.

Any logical reason the front room's windows are specified as toughened and not the others?

Sponsored Links
This is the requirement. It makes no difference which room its in. The only other thing I can think of, is the external ground level at a higher level than internal ground level to the front room window?
upload_2020-10-29_8-8-30.png

Last edited:
Interesting about external ground levels. House is on a slope.

The dining room window ( 3 pane / 6 including fans thats 1900 tall, 1500 wide) is not toughened. The external cill closer to the ground than the identical front room window. Not much, maybe by 200mm.

So it would appear, externally, the toughened units have a greater drop to ground level, measuring from the external cill. The bay window even more of a drop.

Not sure this is a factor though?

Interesting about external ground levels. House is on a slope.

The dining room window ( 3 pane / 6 including fans thats 1900 tall, 1500 wide) is not toughened. The external cill closer to the ground than the identical front room window. Not much, maybe by 200mm.

So it would appear, externally, the toughened units have a greater drop to ground level, measuring from the external cill. The bay window even more of a drop.

Not sure this is a factor though?
If the external ground level brings it within 800mm of the external ground level thats your answer, if it doesn't then I don't know, although there is no reason to exceed the B Reg requirements if desired.

Sponsored Links
Glass within 800mm from floor level, not cill level is the criteria for when safety glass is needed

Closest glass is 820 to floor level.

Odd

I'll report back what I am told.

Thank you for the help

Had the call and queried this. He said some were borderline 800mm, so were toughened.

I gave examples of the dining room being closer and not toughened and asked for explanation as surely that was a candidates.

He said he'd upgrade them all to toughened as it was easiest for him than to explain.

Smelt fishy although if theyre all upgraded for free then I am happy, I guess.

Doesnt fill me with confidence

The 800mm is to the glass sight lines and not to the bottom of the frame or the cill, if the glass sight line is only just out of scope it's still best practice to spec safety glass, in my surveying experience I'd still be calling for for safety glass at near 900mm for peace of mind and the extra minimal cost can be absorbed

That was what confused me, internally all sitelines are 820 so couldn't understand why only windows in the one room were specified as toughened.

And asking the question got them all specified as toughened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back