New windows without trickle vents - future problems?

Yeah, very confusing subject. Ultimately I don't have any fitted in my new windows, looking to get a certificate from the fitter under the competent person scheme to see if I can

Ultimately, It'll only be an issue if I come to sell, so guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
I have house with old windows not a broblem selling they were right at time of buildings regs so new buildings don't apply unless I change windows. older houses have grandfather rights. Bu, it seems not on windows !

Sponsored Links
Hello every one
I am in the proccess of changing windows. I have been told the BR's changed in June 2022 and that trickle vents are required full stop.
I have triedto find if this is guidance or legal.

the window company say I have no choice and all windows must have trickle vent which are constatly open. My house is constaly hit with wind, rain etc etc full on. currently I have wood single galezed windows NO VENTS upstairs or downstairs except for the Lounge only.
I was also told thay they have to be fitted because of damp!! and mold etc. also so people can breathe!!

I've never had mold or damp ever and my house is 35 years old...

But a question the measurements quoted what do they relate to size of room or size of window or something else ???

My bedroom window is rotting outside from elements and neglect. I would prefer wood replacement but having difficuly finding people..

Sorry for the long post but so confused but would really love to know what and how the sizes for vents work.

thank you all
Not an expert at all, maybe I got lucky - have you tried several companies for quotes and to see if they all agree that trickle vents must be fitted?

I wonder if it's due to them being wooden frames and as you're replacing wood for new UPVC, trickle vents must be fitted. Where as if you were replacing UPVC which didn't have trickle vents (as was my situation) it wasn't needed?

Either way, I'd check with several companies. You also say trickle vents must be open at all times, but my understanding is you can close the vents when you want to, they certainly shouldn't be open all the time.

Finally, I'm interested in how your house still has wooden frames if it's only 35 years old (that'd mean it was built in 1985, I'd have thought UPVC would have been standard) but regardless, even with trickle vents in your situation UPVC will still massively outperform the rotten, single glazed wooden frames even if the trickle vents were left open.

Finally, I'm interested in how your house still has wooden frames if it's only 35 years old
Why shouldn't it? in an older house high quality wooden windows (made in e.g. Accoya) will not only look better, but will most likely outlast uPVC too. Then there's aluminium. uPVC is a good solution, but it does have some limitations. Not least the horrible thermal expansion which on larger doors and windows can cause problems, particularly in dark colours...

As to trickle vents....IMHO a solution to a non-existent problem. But what do I know :rolleyes:

Why shouldn't it? in an older house high quality wooden windows (made in e.g. Accoya) will not only look better, but will most likely outlast uPVC too. Then there's aluminium. uPVC is a good solution, but it does have some limitations. Not least the horrible thermal expansion which on larger doors and windows can cause problems, particularly in dark colours...

As to trickle vents....IMHO a solution to a non-existent problem. But what do I know :rolleyes:
True, I was just basing it on the fact the poster mentioned due to blowing wind and rain one of the wooden frames is already rotten!

Sounds like someone building a house out of wood near a volcano!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you don't want the vents, then make this clear to the fitters. Worst-case, find another fitter.

Either way when I did my loft dormer window I got the window cheap. Then retrospective fitted ventilation. Regs guys happy enough

Maybe your current windows are not air tight so this stops condensation. New uPVC will be airtight and this can be a big problem. In the winter I open windows for 20mins working around house when nobody is in the rooms. Even at -5c the air is dry outside and you need that to come inside and let the moist air out, hence trickle vents on new windows. Read up on airing house.
Think they need to be adequate size for room m2.

We live in a, 1999 built, 4 bed bungalow there are extractor fans in both Bathrooms, the hall toilet, the kitchen and the Utility room, we also have an air brick and internal grill vent in the living room. We are having triple glazed A+ windows and doors fitted WITHOUT any trickle vents, we just don't see the logic behind have A+ windows and doors and then putting holes in them when we already have, what we consider to be, adequate ventilation.

We think that the regulations do not fit all circumstances.

We have come to an agreement with the window Provider\installer.

The logic is that your new windows will provide a greater degree of air tightness than the existing ergo some additional ventilation is required to ensure the house remains condensation free, trickle vents provide an option to vent the house as required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back