New windows

Soudal is good quality but looks like it's been applied with a spatula, the areas where it's shrunk would lead me to think they've used high modulus acetate cure rather than low mod neutral cure, low mod has a higher elasticity this able to expand and contract to a higher degree before it let's go of one surface, high mod smells of vinegar hence why I asked.

Other than that if he thinks there's nothing wrong with the sealant he needs to change careers

And like Notch suggests it's always a better finish if you can foam up then seal and then cloak over to tidy it up, I've done the same on my own house, much neater I think

View attachment 235135View attachment 235136View attachment 235138
Lovely neat job - visible silicone would look pants on that textured face brick.

Sponsored Links
I asked him to leave the trims off the inside of the house and fill the gap with expanding foam so i could plaster to the window. He said it couldn't be done with foam because of the cavity but he could of used it. He just didnt want to spend any more money than he had to.
I just need loads of comments to prove his workmanship is poor.
Thanks for replies:D
May as well add some more pics.
Its hard to see on the pic but this trim was added to cover a packer on the side of the door frame which looks like to frame size is too small for the opening
20210530_090506.jpg

No the packer is actually a frame extender, you can see in on the 1st and 3rd pictures of mine, they're used basically to bring the hinges away from the plaster inside, you ask for the door frame to be made say 20mm narrower than you need which then means the hinges clear the plaster when putting the door into the opening, but before fitting the door you clip on the extender to bring the frame out to the correct width, only on the hinge side, unless you have unusually thick plaster then you might need it on both sides otherwise you lose a lot of frame behind the plaster

You know he's used a decent system as well in decuinick but ruined it with his fitting and finishing off, such a shame

Sponsored Links
A few people have said they are good windows.
I think ive got the rejects:(
20210530_114523.jpg

All I can say is WOW! Reading through this thread I'm appalled at the state of the finishing off on this job. As has been stated the silicone looks awful, no smoothing out at all let alone I'd do it everyday the same way Crank has , seal the frame then add the trim to hide that sealant , silicone on brickwork always looks terrible imho.

As goes that door , no , there is no need for a ' packer /knock on ' , that looks like a 40/45mm trim between the wall and hinge, now using Deceuninck ourselves I can tell you they do a 15, 25 and 40mm knock on, and normally a 15mm is adequate to clear plaster. The only other thing maybe that your door is wider than usual and needs the knockons to make up the width, honestly , we don't normally trim over them if they need to be there , if fitted correctly they are the same colour and the full height of the door and clip in ( sometimes need to be screwed as they can come unclipped if your really unlucky! ) , so essentially become part of the frame

A few people have said they are good windows.
I think ive got the rejects:(View attachment 235159

Deceuninck are a great profile , it does come down to the actual manufacturer though. If thats a split in the weld in that picture , I'd be asking for a new window . And not sure why they have mitred the beads like that, normally a 45 degree angle ( admittedly we tend to use the chamfered bead/frame ( 2500 system) rather than the sculptured ( 2800 system )

Thanks for the replies.
Are the welds usually that poor on the windows?

The actual main angle is very good to be fair , its where it crosses the sculptured effect, that's quite poor , looks like the middle is a thin crack on the outside edge of the sculptured effect. I may be wrong though

There is sometimes a little ' tidying up' but some of those are a little messy to say the least

He isnt replying to any text messages or phone calls now.
The job isnt finished, where do i go from here??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back