New wooden sleepers delivered, all different sizes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I'm currently in the process of building sleeper walls in my garden with new treated sleepers. I started this a while back with 2400x200x100 sleepers and now just ordered 5 more of the same size to complete the project. The 5 that arrived all have different widths and depths. I.e one will be 2400x195x85, another will be 2400x190x90, another will be 2400x190x95. To add to this, one is split and another is massively curved, so it will not align with any of the others.

So my question is, am I being too picky here or is this not what you'd expect from new treated sleepers?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
If this batch was bought from the same source as the originals then tell them to take them back as they don't match what you previously bought. Why should you be lumbered (excuse the pun) with a sub-standard product.

In any case if you bought them online then the distance selling legislation comes into play and you can reject them.

Cheers for the replies. It was over the phone to a depot near me, so not sure if it's the same as online purchases.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies. It was over the phone to a depot near me, so not sure if it's the same as online purchases.
It is. It’s not the online bit that counts. It’s the distance selling regulations that apply. You can send them back.

Pretty sure the legislation kicks in as long as you've not bought it in person, so pretty sure that would apply here, though you may be responsible for costs in getting them back to the seller which might be more than the cost of the sleepers unless you can deliver them in car yourself.

Ah fair enough, I'll try that then, cheers!

Am I being unreasonable with these variances or would this be expected for this type of thing?

Is it possible that your first batch was "as sawn" whilst the second was "planed smooth all round" If so, then undersized finished product is considered "normal" for wood supply - not that that makes it right. As to the banana sleeper, it's obviously a reject and the supplier should replace it at their cost.

It they are not what you ordered, they should pay the return costs. Did you pay by PayPal or credit card? If over £100 you could go through your CC company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back