New World CH502 gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advise/help given to this 'newbie' on this matter will be greatley appreciated.. The Gas Valve on this prehistoric piece of equipment has finally given up the ghost resulting in a total loss of central heating..GREAT!! We have had some stoopid amounts quoted on new system but at the moment , all our out of reach. Does anybody know if there is a replacement for this part anywhere in the country as i am having no joy!! I believe that it an ITT part but these also disappeared many years ago. PLS help,upstairs is freezing!!!!

Sponsored Links
Can you take a picture of the gas valve or get the model number off it?

This is a very efficient modulating gas boiler based on a water heater. They were introduced in 1970 and sold until about 1977.

The gas valve is an oddity and directly modulated by the temperature probe.

I would be very surprised if the gas valve has really failed!

Who told you that?

I do actually have a used one but would retain that for our own customers and as a spare for a 502 we still use in a launderette!

Be VERY careful about buying one because most of them failed ( to modulate ) within a few weeks and there were long queues at Ascot House on the NCR of people returning the valve for a replacement. Any you find might well be a failed one!

Tony

24v itt mclaren gas valve. not been avialable for a few years now.
Your boiler is 35 years plus .

Who said gas valve has gone and why

Sponsored Links
A qualified plumber/gas fitter (who has done lots of work for us before and is very good if a little pricey!) said it was the gas valve after doing a few electrical tests. He deduced that it was 'asking' for power (electrically, which it was getting) but was not kicking into life. Before he was called, i was told to 'reboot' the boiler to see if that helped,so off went the pilot light and sparked it up again. Turned the thermostat until the 'click' and waited for the joy of warmth (or an explosion!!!)...and waited.....and waited.....and went to bed! A 'click' is heard in the boiler, normally before the burner fired up but, alas, we aint getting past that stage. As for a model number/photo, i will look at it tomorrow as wifey is a bit poorly (she put it down to being cold!!!) and i'm at her beck n call till i go to work bit later! Must say that it is nice to know that all the help n advice that everybody is giving is cheering me up and giving me some hope, thank u all

Id be interested to see a picture of this valve too. If it is the ITT 24v with brown control knob I may have a second hand one in my garage which I may sell to you. If it is a modulating valve as Agile suggests then you are in his hands ! Not seen one of those but assume it works on bellows principle as oven valves do :idea:

Agile describe how this boiler looks at the front,and how to get into the controls. How do you get the burner out. What sort of t/couple it has. Where is pilot etc etc. And what was it called before new world
Then tell me how to make an itt mclaren valve modulating.
No way is this boiler modulating

The CC is on the left and the simple controls are on the right behind an "L" shaped cover which is onlift off hinges on the left.

The CC cover is held on by a single screw wedge accessed from underneath which is counter intuitive as to how to remove it.

I dont remember the T/C as I have not needed to change it on any of the three boilers I have used. ( about 30 years on the launderette boiler. )

They are in a balanced flue and a conventional flue model.

I have no idea what the gas valve is but I remember that the modulation element can be replaced on its own.

Tony

Right description , these did not have a have a modulating gas valve . I f it has someone has really feked about with that boiler .
Tell me how an ITT mclaren valve can be made modulating , how does it get the different voltages. How is the modureg attached.
Take a picture off it

There is no modureg!

There are no voltages!

There is just an alcohol phial directly actuating the gas valve pressure regulator with a limit switch to cut off the burner when it gets too hot at minimum gas.

Just trust me, I have installed three and still maintain one!

Tony

Have worked on close on a hundred 501 and 502`s as new worlds and radiations (there original name).
And none of them have any form of modureg ,it is impossible to fit any form of modulator onto a ITT gas valve which is what was fitted to these boilers. The governor on these valves are completly different from honeywells

You have the laundrete so why not take a picture of it.

Or perhaps the OP can put a picture of his controls.

There is no modureg!

There are no voltages!

There is just an alcohol phial directly actuating the gas valve pressure regulator with a limit switch to cut off the burner when it gets too hot at minimum gas.

Tony

The debate hots up!!!

Unlike the OP's house! LOL

Some post a picture and put us out of our misery !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back