New Years Resolution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a a separate, and rather alcoholic, topic.

I do worry that, usually, we have a DIY question, .
There is a general reply (or replies) that mostly answers the question.

Then there are several days of minutii from various "experts" trying either to score points off each other or to dig into further depths of regulations that never, ever see the light of day.

I'm not sure if it will last long - but after many glasses of Portugal's finest - I resolve to not extend the discussion beyond general help to the original poster.

My personal feeling is that otherwise we will drive the DIY'er away, if we don't curb our professional enthusiasm.

Happy New Year.

Sponsored Links
I think rather than one big sticky topic at the top of each forum, there should be several stickies covering main problems, with appropriate titles such as "my RCD has tripped". After several responses, we could vote on the usefullness of the responses - a democratic system rather than users scoring points off one another etc. Such useful posts could be scored by use of the wiki, ease of understanding to total novice etc.

I sometimes think the wiki has minimal use - its hidden at the top of the page, and whilst there is a link to it at the top of each forum, many people dont understand the concept of a wiki. Renaming the link on each forum and making it bigger would be a good idea - "having problems with RCD tripping, lights not working, <bla bla> click here to see if the answer is in the wiki!"

Happy new decade ttc
Assuming that you were given the job of designing a new calendar which would come into effect with all day, month and year numbers reset to the start, then unless you would call the very first day 0/0/0 then it's not the start of a new decade now.

If in your new scheme the very first day was the first day of the first month of the first year, i.e. 1/1/1 then each decade would run 1-10, each century 1-100, each millennium 1-1000 etc.

The first day in any of our new years is 01/01 - we do not start at 00/00, so by any sensible non-computer-scientist way of counting our next decade does not start until 01/01/2011.

Sponsored Links
I sometimes think the wiki has minimal use - its hidden at the top of the page, and whilst there is a link to it at the top of each forum, many people dont understand the concept of a wiki.
How many people coming here have never heard of or encountered Wikipedia? :rolleyes:

Renaming the link on each forum and making it bigger would be a good idea - "having problems with RCD tripping, lights not working, <bla bla> click here to see if the answer is in the wiki!"
It would make s*d-all difference. The reason that people don't look in the stickies and wiki is not because they don't know they are there it's because they are too f*****g lazy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back