Newb DIYer and plaster after damp patch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Please accept my apologies, as this could well of been answered elsewhere on the forum, but I'm completely bamboozled by some of the terminology. I have had a scour through, but I'm pretty confused.

I'm no DIY master, but I can turn my hand to many things, and plastering is something I've never done before.. :eek:

I'm after, with the greatest of respect, some assistance, but fairly dumbed down. :D

A few years ago, we had a nasty leak from the gutter, and had a bad case of damp in the bedroom. The leak was eradicated, and the offending area was stripped and left to dry out.

As far as I can ascertain, the wall (Image 1) has stood up well. The plaster isn't crumbling, and is still solid. The window area (image 2), however, is not as lucky. some plaster has crumbled away, and there's a white, powdery salt like residue.

I was going to, on the main wall, coat with damp seal, and fill in a few minor holes with all in one plaster.

The window area, I was going to remove the crumbling plaster out back to a solid base (1cm at most), damp seal, PVA 1:1 and plaster.

Any assistance from the forum, would be highly appreciated.

DSC_0469.JPG DSC_0470.JPG

Sponsored Links
Removing the curtain and showing the return wall in some new photos would help.
So would a photo of the outside showing this area and the pre-leaking gutter.

The plaster and coving appear to be shot. The stains you see are most likely from penetrating salts.
Any metal corner bead will rust.
Usually, the only solution is to hack off to brickwork and replaster.

Have you been in the loft and examined the area?
Is this a solid or cavity wall? if its cavity is there any cavity insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back