Newbie garage extension question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post, so I hope this is the right place...

We live in a detached 3 bed with a garage alonside but set about 6ft back from the house (the back of the garage is level with the back of the house)
I was thinking of extending the garage forward and bring it slightly past the front of the house and having the roof of the garage extend to act as a porch as well. See image for a better explanation of what I am trying to describe.

front-garage-leeds-building-project.jpg

I've got a few questions as I've never organised anything like this before.

Am I likely to need planning permission for this?

If so, what is the usual order people go through for this type of work? For example I would assume it's something like:

1) contact planning office to arrange a visit to check if planning permission is definitely needed
2) contact builders to obtain quotes
3) confirm no objections from neighbour (on that side of house)
4) apply for planning permission
5) agree with builder to start work

Is that the right order to proceed with the this?

Thanks in advance for the help, as I said, I'm very new to this, so forgive me if any of this should be very obvious!

Sponsored Links
1. you would need planning permission because you are extending forward of the front elevation.
2. you get plans drawn for planning permission, and while waiting for p.p. get your quotes.
3. once p.p. received, arrange start date with chosen builder.
4. before starting, submit plans for Building Regulations approval (you can use the council's building control service, or go private).
5. make sure from your builder that the inspector checks work as and when required.

The OP wont be able to get quotes from plans drawn for planning permission, unless they are detailed enough for the building regs approval too.

correct - my bad - was half-concentrating after City scored the equalizer.

@op - when you get plans drawn, make sure you know what you're getting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

One more question, if I altered my plans to only bring the garage in line with the front of the house and build a seperate porch, would I be likely to need planning permission for that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back