Newbie looking for recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm currently renovating a house and would appreciate some advice on install a new alarm system.

Current wish list:

3 wired PIRs
3 x Wireless window sensors
1 x door shock sensor (I might have the terminology wrong, it's to activate the alarm should someone start trying to tamper with a door)
1 x panel
2 x keypads (So I can set/unset the alarm from two different locations in the house, is that possible?)
1 x External bell

I can hard wire most of these devices in so would prefer to do that (the wireless items I've mentioned are for a couple of areas I won't be able to run cable into).

I'd like the alarm to be able to call/text a number when it's activated. (The panel will be near the master socket).

Is there anything I'm missing? What would you recommend? Not really sure on budget, would £200 be reasonable? More?

When wiring in the sensors etc, is it best to just wire each device individually back to the panel (not an issue if it is) rather than daisy chaining them?.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I think for a decent mid range system, you'd be looking at closer to £350 with a Galaxy G2. Probably about the same with others.

The 2 x Keypad and Wireless Devices is where the extra costs are come in.

I would recommend the extra effort to use wired sensors on the windows rather than wireless.

If it really has to be wireless then use equipment that uses two way wireless communications. Then when the alarm is being set the panel can ask the sensor if the window is closed and will inform you if the window has not been closed and require it to be shut before the alarm can be set. If a sensor has failed or "gone missing" then the panel will be able to alert the user to the problem when he or she tries to set the alarm if not before when the sensor fails to respond to a routine "are you OK" request from the panel,

An alarm using one way wireless cannot ask the sensor if the window is shut and has to rely on the owner shutting the window before setting the alarm AND that the sensor is still in a working condition when the alarm is to be set.

It is possible to set an alarm that relies on one way communication when a sensor has been removed from site.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the window sensors will have to be wireless. Approx £350 for the system shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Do you have any specific product recommendations?

Sponsored Links
The following suggestion is for a Honeywell hybrid system which has a total possible 44 zones. Comes with 12 hardwired on-board and the RF portal allows the zones to be optionally configured as two way wireless.

Galaxy G2-44 Panel x 1
Galaxy CP038-01 Keyprox Keypads x 2
IS215TCE PIR's x 3
DO800-M Wireless Door Contacts x 3
C079 RF Portal x 1 (fitted outside the metal panel casing)
Viper Shock Sensor x 1 (you get these wired or wireless)
Texecom Odyssey 3E External Sounder x 1

16 Ohm Internal Speaker x 1
1 x 12V 7Ah battery
1 x Fused Spur

Suggest a door contact on the main door, as this is the standard system configuration. You get combined wireless shock & contact in one. Also, you will need an internal speaker, fused spur and a battery for the panel. All components in the first list are Honeywell with the exception of the sounder, as Texecom Odyssey is better than the Honeywell sounder.

You can use dial-up Vodafone TAP service for SMS, but you can add self monitoring to the panel with an Ethernet module if you have broadband.

There are a few mid to top range system manufacturers to choose from. Not all sell to the public, but Honeywell and Texecom kit is very common for DIY and there's always loads of support from this site should you get stuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back