Texecom Premier Elite 64W wireless keypad woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm reasonably competent with all things electrical / electronic and recently moved in to a new house. I was initially planning to go for a full wired system as the house supposedly had a "first fix for Alarm", long story short the first fix was rubbish and had no where near enough cables for the kind of security I was looking for. So I decided to go with a Texecom Premier Elite 64W with a rough mix of 50/50 wired and wireless sensors, I also got the SmartComm as I wanted the ability to talk to it remotely with my phone etc.

The parts I bought were:

1 x Premier Elite 64W
1 x SmartComm
1 x Wired Prox LCD Keypad
3 x Wired Magnetic Door Contacts (to which I added the EOL resistors)
3 x Wired PIRs
1 x Wireless Prox LCD Keypad
1 x Wireless Magnetic Door Contact
3 x Wireless PIR's
1 x Odyssey 3 External Wired Sounder

The 64W has 4 onboard wired zones and the wired keypad also has 2 zones, my plan being to use those 6 zones for the 6 wired sensors and have everything else wireless. The install went really well (with just the 2 sensors to the keypad left to wire in) , everything in in DEOL I powered up the panel and when through the language setup, date / time, confirm devices etc with the wired panel, I got it to learn all the wireless sensors powering them on one by one, I've even managed to get the SmartComm connected and working through my phone.

Here come the 3 issues:

1. It's lucky I bought the wired keypad as I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect the wireless keypad, the wired one is set to Keypad 1, and I set the DIP switches in the wireless one to be Keypad 2 (0100). How ever the wireless keypad simply displays "No Ricochet Network Found" when I press the tick to activate it. How do you correctly configure the wireless keypad on to the system? Will I need to re connect the installation jumper or can I add it from the engineer menu?

2. Cannot get WinTex to connect at all using the SmartComm, I've never used this software before but on first look its absolutely awful! I'm going to try with a direct serial connection to the panel as soon as I get 5 minutes.

3. Additional zones from the wired keypad, will there be zones 5 and 6? I think the Wireless sensors were zones 9 to 12, who knows what zone 8 is (unless its the stupid wireless keypad I cannot get to connect).

Any help with the above issues or pointers would be very much appreciated, hopefully I've given a reasonable explanation but any questions please ask!

Kind Regards

Plasma

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From my first experience with the new wireless keypads this week, they are an absolute nightmare! To connect them to the system, you need to use the Engineer REM cable included with the keypad (normally found with the manuals) and connect the keypad to the board’s engineer REM port. When this is done, the keypad should prompt you to learn the keypad to the system, press yes and it should say (learning...). You should then get a success tone and will be able to use the keypad. Hope this helps but they are a nightmare! The idea was great but I really dislike them. I’d also suggest putting the keypad somewhere out of sight through windows because the keypad sleeps after 5 seconds which makes the system look like it isn’t working.

Initially connect wireless keypad via the lead supplied. Connect to panel and prog it in.

You need the very latest version on Wintex.

Keypad zones are mapped to be whatever zone you want it to be as long as it exists in the software.

Thanks both for the reply ... so thats what the little cable is for!!!! Wireless keypad is now working, and I agree the timeout is ridiculously short. I was hoping this was an option in Wintex once I finally get it working.

Still can't get Wintex to connect via the SmartCom, I have version 6.3.1.0, maybe I'm doing it wrong I've never used Wintex before.

I do have another question that might be a quick answer, with the SmartCom I got a 3rd Comm Port header to allow me to have a spare after connecting the SmartCom to the 2 onboard ones. There are some onboard header pins and a cable that this little board would fit to but reading around this looks like a connection for the PCB Flasher unit. Can I connect the header to this? Also I have no idea which way wound to connect it as there is no keying on either end. The cable has a red indicator for pin 1 but nether the main PCB or the little add-on has an identifier for pin 1. Can you advise how I might connect this up and whether I could use this Comm 3 for a direct Wintex connection, I guess there is a Wintex specific item in the port config.

Kind Regards

Plasma

Sponsored Links
On your Wintex profile, set up your profile with the correct panel type (64-W), software type (V4.X) & UDL code must match both Wintex and panel (in UDL options) When connecting, click connect & in dropdown select smartcom, a box should appear asking for a code. Does this happen?

Specific keypad programming is accessed via a hidden menu, press menu & yes at. same time.

Last edited:
Hi yes I've set the Panel Type to "Elite 64" and have set the UDL password as well.
When I click Connect and choose "SmartCom" it asks for the App Code, I get this from the Panel in Engineering menu but as soon as I click "Connect" I get "Please check your network connection and try again". It all works fine from the phone so I know the SmartCom is connected to the internet and working properly.

Plasma

Ok, have you got a USBcom lead to connect directly into the panel?

Not sure about the network issue tbh.

Not exactly as I wasn't willing to pay £40 for one, but I can make one! :)
Would I connect it to the ComIP connection on Com 2 that I configured for the SmartCom? If not what do I set the Com port to so I can talk directly to it on a USB serial link?

Thanks for sticking with me!

Plasma

£19 on eBay but I get your point. Plug into any com port prog as not used.

Still not sure why you cannot connect wirelessly.

I've now managed to connect wirelessly with Wintex using an old laptop. I was previously running it in a VM on my MacBook. At least I can talk to it now so will investigate the issue with the VM Later. I was also hoping to be able to flash the Panel/Smartcom from Wintex but seems like this is not possible? Is the only way to flash the panel with a flasher board? My panel currently has the latest firmware but I'm thinking ahead if I need to update this later.

Plasma

Can't make one of those, guess I better get ordering one! :)

Hi Plasma,

Glad you've got on top of it, I've got virtually the same setup although I've got an additional wired expander. However, this may be of use to someone....!

I found that the wireless Ricochet system on the 64W is on dip switch 1, so I put the wired keypad onto dip switch 2; the wired expander on dip switch 3 and the wireless keypad on dip switch 4. It probably took me 3 hours to figure that out because I was using dip switch 1 for the wired keypad and it wouldn't show any of the Ricochet zones. I found I didn't need the Engineers REM Cable to setup the wireless keypad, it found it straight away and put it on Zone 9.
It looks like zone 5-8 are wired zones, but there are only 4 zone connectors on the 64W - hence why I had to buy the expander, I've kept 8 wired sensors on the system. Unless 5-8 are used from keypads, they are never used.

You have answered one of my questions though, about being able to use Wintex with the SmartCom. So thank you for that!
However, i've got 16 ricochet shock sensors and a wireless Odyssey Sounder to install and the manual recommends installing them and naming them all before installing SmartComm. Hopefully, it won't take too long to enter via the keypad.

Ive just been trying to order some texecom stuff today and apparently TEX have major delivery/ supply issues.....I could not even get a VR8 panel...

Leadtimes within the component industry are extremely stretched I'm told due to automotive demand???? More like Chrimbo toys :)

I've now managed to connect wirelessly with Wintex using an old laptop. I was previously running it in a VM on my MacBook. At least I can talk to it now so will investigate the issue with the VM Later. I was also hoping to be able to flash the Panel/Smartcom from Wintex but seems like this is not possible? Is the only way to flash the panel with a flasher board? My panel currently has the latest firmware but I'm thinking ahead if I need to update this later.

Plasma
Hi Plasma, Did you eventually work out why Wintex inside of a VM would not work? I have exactly the same set up on my Mac using fusion but for the life of me have been unable to work out the connectivity issue. IP details all look good and I can access the LAN/WAN.

Thanks,
LB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back