Newbie Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new member here.

I’m just about to embark on a long overdue project to replace our 30 year old Castle Omega 5 system. After a lot of reading and research (including many helpful threads here), I’ve decided to go with a Texecom Premier Elite 24, Keypad with proximity tag reader and SmartCom. I’m also going to renew the PIRs, door switches and bellbox and add some additional PIRs for areas not currently covered.

I have a technical background and so I think I’ve grasped the essential principles of alarm systems in general but I do have a couple of initial questions (with no doubt more to follow) which I’m hoping the experts can assist me with.

1. I intend to re-use as much of the existing wiring as possible as it seems to be sound and will save a lot of work but the new panel is larger than the old one and so will have to be mounted in a slightly different place. This means the cables to the panel will have to be extended and the plan is to employ tamper fitted junction boxes to achieve this. I am unclear though as to what is considered best practice for monitoring the junction box tampers. It seems to me that each could be connected to their own zone, or they could be connected in series to a single zone, or connected in series to the “Aux/Fault” input. My working assumption is the “Aux/Fault” input?

2. If the “Aux/Fault” is triggered does that fire the alarm if it’s armed? I can’t find anything on this in the information I have but I assume it does (or can be configured so that it does).

3. If there’s a power failure then the SmartCom unit will be unable to communicate as the broadband router will be down. Would it be wise therefore to use a UPS on the router or am I just being paranoid? If not can anyone recommend a UPS to supply 12V DC with about a 2Ah rating?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Presumably the router's PSU is a mains power brick, or inline adapter - like most standard ones? If so, just use a normal small UPS and either make up a cable/extension lead with an IEC plug to run from the UPS output to a trailing socket/4-in-1 extension for the router; or you can buy consumer grade UPS units which supply mains sockets as their output rather than IEC sockets - APC make some of these.

Sponsored Links
Presumably the router's PSU is a mains power brick, or inline adapter - like most standard ones? If so, just use a normal small UPS and either make up a cable/extension lead with an IEC plug to run from the UPS output to a trailing socket/4-in-1 extension for the router; or you can buy consumer grade UPS units which supply mains sockets as their output rather than IEC sockets - APC make some of these.

Thanks. I'm going to go with a UPS that has a 12V DC output which I can plug direct into the router as a replacement for its stock power brick. Based on the current consumption of my router that should give me between 60 and 120 minutes backup.

3. If there’s a power failure then the SmartCom unit will be unable to communicate as the broadband router will be down. Would it be wise therefore to use a UPS on the router or am I just being paranoid? If not can anyone recommend a UPS to supply 12V DC with about a 2Ah rating?
Do you get regular power outages? if not you'll probably find your broadband connection less reliable that your electricity supply.

Personally I'd spend the UPS money on a GSM dialler as a backup, something cheap like this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232463453900

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
more reliable than GSM, the infernet, and your power supply, is a telephone landline.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back