next best heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people i have only just joined and am after some advice, my house does not have centrel heating and the only heat supply i have in my home is a flueless gas fire in lounge and 1 electric night storage heater at botom of stairs.
i now have a 9 month old baby and i am wanting a warmer house especialy babies bedroom, what would be the best option (not centrel heating) to install to to babies room and may be few other rooms?
been told maybe more storage heaters or convecter heaters? i really need advice from your own experiences please help

Sponsored Links
IF you have an economy 7 or similar cheap-rate electricity supply, it might be worth getting more storage heaters. Ig your house is already wired for storage heaters it is cheaper than if you have to be rewired.

they give out most of their heat during the day, which is not much good if you are out at work, but is suitable for babies.

If you are not sure about your electricity supply, post some photos of your meter (s) and any timer attached, your consumer unit (fusebox) ans the varuous wires and cables around and vetween them. this will give us an idea of what you have.

Is your a rented or owned house? It makes a difference to what is better value.

Unless you use cheap night-rate electricity, electrical heating costs roughly three times as much to run as gas heating.

BTW we do not like flueless gas fires on safety grounds. You should not have them in a room where you might fall asleep, or if you do not have good ventilation. They also cause damp and condensation.

Hell will freeze over before I would fit a flueless gas fire, or even use one, especially with a baby in the property :rolleyes:

Sounds like storage heaters like John says would be your best option with maybe panel heaters in each bedroom.

thanks guys for responce
gas4you why would u not use a flueless gas fire as a source of heating? also what do u mean by panel heaters in each room???
johnd i do currently have economy 7 wired but only to 2 rooms, i do own the property too and why do u have bad views on flueless gas heating too, i know what u mean by causing dampness i suffer from it in corners and above windows, what u recommend in exchange?
i am currently doing my level 2 in plumbing but not to sure ready to instal centel heating yet but i know i could cut the cost if DIYed it

Sponsored Links
They are just a horrific death trap waiting to happen. Never been thoroughly designed and tested or proper standards set to which maufacturers have to adhere to.

a panel heater is just a wall-mounted electric heater (that is not a storage heater)

they are fairly expensive to run

some of them have switchable fans so they can get a room warm quicker

AFAIK they all have thermostats and Hi/Med/Low output switches these days so you can control the output. Some have integral timers.

If you have access to an outside wall or a chimny/flue for your next gas fire, at least it will not be dumping flue gases into the room. A big gas fire can be very powerful and cheaper to run than electric (unless you get an inefficient open flame "fake coals" thing)

If memory serves me, a flueless gas fire may not be used as the primary source of heat... IE it should not be installed in a room where there is no other source of heating..

And I dislike flueless fires too... too much condensation which promotes mold.. Not good for kids

thanks guys im finding this really helpful, now starting to think i should ditch the fluless fire, keep the views coming as need get source of heat sorted before it turns cold :D

As a NVQ 2 plumber, I would think fitting your own CH, taking your time, would be a walk in the park for you.

Just leave all the pipes where the boiler will be sited and get an RGI to supply and fit the boiler, then do all the connections to it ;)

Just leave all the pipes where the boiler will be sited and get an RGI to supply and fit the boiler, then do all the connections to it ;)

pedantic i know, but the connections should be made by an rgi from what i recall.

Yes thats how it sounds when I now read it back, but I actually meant the RGI to do all the connections to the boiler :oops:

when I did it (not recently) the little dog put the boiler up with wiring, programmer, pump and gas, doing the hot water, and left CH stubs for me to run the radiators off later. Was quite convenient as I am a very slow worker and did one room at a time, but you can put a few rads on, and cap off the pipe, then do a bit more later. I would probably put gate valves in, with a capped stub, if I was doing it again, to save draining and refilling.

My way saved paying for him to bother with floors, carpets, furniture and crawling about, which is most of the labour and time.

guys i have thought about doing it myself its just finding time and being sure of what doing, your write i will need a corgi guy to connect gas supply to boiler, its tempting just weighing up options

Why not stick a couple of baxi brazilla balanced flue wall heaters in , Far quicker heating up than electric ,cheaper to run and once in the virtually never need looking at again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back