Next door's building works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over a year ago the couple next door applied to build a single storey rear extension under the neighbourhood consultation scheme to replace an existing conservatory. This application was submitted by the builder.

About a month later I got a letter from the planning department saying the application had been refused due to the proposed extension being attatched to an existing extension, so could not qualify under the scheme. The thing is by that time the extension had been built as the application was only made about three weeks into the build.

The thing that I can't help wondering about is this - is it possible they might not actually know of the refusal??? If the builder apply's from his address would they have received the refusal letter?

The reason for asking is I am thinking of applying for an extension on that side and a visit by the planning officer is possible. I am hoping there is a valid explanation but I do wonder if they were duped by their builder. I would like to try and help them but perhaps they know and are hoping to regularise it in a few years time or something. Or is it a planning trick I am unaware of???

One other thing does concern me about their building work. They changed their water supply over to the blue plastic pipe only it was laid at only about 40mm below ground and I don't think they used any pea shingle under. Also where it enters the house was only two bricks below ground level so only about 150mm. Clearly it wasn't inspected by anyone and it's only about two metres from where I am thinking about building. I did contact the water company about it but they said there was nothing they could do as it is on private property. Is there anything else I can do as it doesn't really seem right to me, I have read it should be laid at 750mm with pea shingle under and should be inspected before back-filling.

Sponsored Links
The refusal would have gone to the agent who sent the Notification in - so could be the architect/plan-drawer, or builder (this is assuming the neighbours did not send it in themselves).
If/when you make your planning application, a planning officer will come round to see the site, and doubtless they will see the unlawful extension. However,
if you are building on that side, this may help the neighbour. Your proposed extension would presumably lessen the impact of their extension on your property. If that's the case, the original rationale for the council refusing it would possibly not then be valid.

(40mm - or did you mean 40cm - is too near the surface for a water supply pipe; what will happen in winter?)

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks for the speedy replies.

Yes it was definitely the builders name on the application so think it is quite possible they simply don't know, the guy told me he had left it all to the builder.

I don't think the extension is anything a neighbour could have a valid objection to but my concern is for them in that they have two large extensions already and they may be getting close to over development. Also the monopitch roof is in concrete tile whereas the two previous extensions are in slate.

Question is would it help them if I were to mention it to them at this stage? I very much doubt they had a contract with the builder but would it help them if they were to go to the council before it gets spotted say?

Regarding the water yes sorry it was 40cm ofcourse. No problems so far but last winter was pretty mild. But sods law says it will go the day my foundations are dug out! Wonder how likely a burst is, 40cm is still quite deep isn't it, even if it isn't 75cm. Wish there was something more I could do though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back