NHS Contact Tracing App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ith-apple-and-google-over-coronavirus-tracing

This is interesting. The problem is in a memo the Ministers wanted to identify users - so uptake will be low as its a privacy concern.

The NHS is in a standoff with Apple and Google after the two tech firms refused to support the UK’s plans to build an app that alerts users when they have been in contact with someone with coronavirus.

Apple and Google are encouraging health services worldwide to build contact-tracing apps that operate in a decentralised way, allowing individuals to know when they’ve been in contact with an infected person but preventing governments from using that data to build a picture of population movements in aggregate.

Sponsored Links
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ith-apple-and-google-over-coronavirus-tracing

This is interesting. The problem is in a memo the Ministers wanted to identify users - so uptake will be low as its a privacy concern.

The NHS is in a standoff with Apple and Google after the two tech firms refused to support the UK’s plans to build an app that alerts users when they have been in contact with someone with coronavirus.

Apple and Google are encouraging health services worldwide to build contact-tracing apps that operate in a decentralised way, allowing individuals to know when they’ve been in contact with an infected person but preventing governments from using that data to build a picture of population movements in aggregate.
Never happen in this country.Too obsessed with civil liberties.

And will the police have access to the database so that they can ascertain if we have been outside more than once, where we have been etc??

Not happening here...

Sponsored Links
Funny, I was talking to a friend at Google only yesterday about why the Covid Symptom Tracker app is not listed in Google Play on mobile (you can find and install from desktop) - because it is UK only, and partly because UK has left the EU, it is now much harder to get some UK apps indexed - lots of boring legal things because we've pulled up the drawbridge without a plan.

So let me be clear... for this app to work I need to open up my privacy settings to allow my 'location' to be seen by third parties. Then. if I contract CV-19, I have to tick a box on the app to inform the world of my condition.............and to boot, I need to have my Bluetooth switched on permanently.............I don't think so sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil:

So let me be clear... for this app to work I need to open up my privacy settings to allow my 'location' to be seen by third parties. Then. if I contract CV-19, I have to tick a box on the app to inform the world of my condition.............and to boot, I need to have my Bluetooth switched on permanently.............I don't think so sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil:
Drug dealer...?

And will the police have access to the database so that they can ascertain if we have been outside more than once

And this is where things get tricky.
Any person would be in their rights to leave the house 4 or 5 times in one day.
You might go shopping for food.
Deliver some food to your mum
Deliver some food to your father-in-law
pick up a prescription
go for a walk.

Does that mean the police will come knocking and asking questions? All a bit crazy, very 1984, very dystopian.

Not our future, our present (fantastic that we have a new hospital, not mocking that obviously, ot the people working there, or those that financed it, nobody, totally grateful, but this looks so much like something from a sci-fi movie, reminds me of something like 1984!):

94022104_10157325733091472_7759041613464076288_o.jpg

6a00d834515c5469e20240a4c2e8a8200b.jpg

In fairness, most apps have the same permissions. Maybe not the bluetooth. If you use a navigation app, and probably many others I can't think of right now, you probably already give this info to somebody.

Another problem though is that not everybody has a modern smart phone, or a smart phone at all. My parents still have basic mobiles, so they would not protected, or presumably, ever allowed to leave the house again!

In fairness, most apps have the same permissions. Maybe not the bluetooth. If you use a navigation app, and probably many others I can't think of right now, you probably already give this info to somebody.

Another problem though is that not everybody has a modern smart phone, or a smart phone at all. My parents still have basic mobiles, so they would not protected, or presumably, ever allowed to leave the house again!

The only time I need to use maps is when driving so use the car satnav. I minimise most of my phone apps/notifications as my business is my own and also extends the battery life.

And will the police have access to the database so that they can ascertain if we have been outside more than once, where we have been etc??

Not happening here...
Too right....you stick up for civil liberties and let people die needless deaths...

Too right....you stick up for civil liberties and let people die needless deaths...

Try to look at things from someone else's point-of-view.

You are a middle-aged man.

I presume that you have means to support yourself.

Your chosen hobby (touring cycling) can easily be incorporated into the social distancing model, albeit might be more tricky to get abroad to do it.

I presume that, almost ad infinitum, you could make the adjustments to live through this.

Not everyone else can / would be willing, to live like this. For some, it would be an existence, rather than a life.

There are no guarantees that this CV will be managed at all, let alone anytime soon. We could be stuck in this "wear a mask", "leave your phone on", "stay x metres apart", etc etc etc, for years.

How is anyone (kids, for example) supposed to play team sports anymore? In a respirator, staying 2 metres from their "marker"?

Dating? Youngsters, divorcees, widowers; how will that work?

We could be entering a world in which a significant proportion can no longer bear living in.....

Worst case scenario (some scientists think we'll have to manage CV from now on; there will be no cure, no vaccine):

- give up your civil liberties, and let people live pointless lives.....

give up your civil liberties, and let people live pointless lives.....
???????.yours might feel better for the sake of an app...mine will not..Should you not be out protesting about social distancing contravening your human rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links