Nice idea - but is it safe??

Sponsored Links
From the spec it looks as though they expect the riving knife (if any) to be part of the portable saw you attach

That's what I thought it was getting at too - but no hand-held circular saw comes with such a thing?!

(or does it?)

Nozzle

I thought that you supplied the circular saw, jigsaw and router and that the Wolfcraft thingy converted them into a static tool....

Sponsored Links
Yes that's the gist of it - but to make it safe it needs a riving knife which the manufacturers of the table seem to believe will come boxed with the users circular saw.

Nozzle

And then I went to see how much an actual table saw costs.... the price for this universal thing just isn't worth it. Shame.

Nozzle

That's what I thought it was getting at too - but no hand-held circular saw comes with such a thing?!
(or does it?)
Some do, others do not.
This does: http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-c7u2-185mm-circular-saw-230v/88671
I've had B&D DIY saws in the past both with and without riving knives, my last Makita 190mm saw came with a riving knife and the current firm's 230mm one has a riving knife, finally both my Hilti and Festool saws have riving knife. So, some do, some don't....... In any case a decent portable table saw such as a deWalt DW745 is under £400 and there are many cheaper units at around the £200 mark.

I stand corrected on the riving-knife-on-portable-circular-saw issue. Mine doesn't have one, but then it's not to-notch gear. Along the lines of what you say, I could buy a dedicated (but not top spec) table saw and router table for the same price as this Wolfcraft widget.

Nozzle

A router table is basically an MFC (Contiboard) box with no sides and some corner braces and the fence as simple as a piece of 2 x 2 square edged softwood with a bolt through one end and a clamp at the other - at least that's how I build them on site when (rarely) required. Made from offcuts they only really cost a bit of time and some screws. Not as nice as a "proper" router table, but at the price......:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back