Night storage heaters

Sponsored Links
If you are asking if more efficient and therefore cheaper to run storage heaters exist - then the answer is no.
They all work in the same way - the electrical energy put in is converted to heat.

Newer ones might be better at retaining the heat for longer periods so it can be used longer into the evening, but unless your existing heaters are 40+ years old, it's unlikely any real difference would be noticed.

Storage heaters are only of use for properties which are heated all day, every day. If the property is unoccupied for long periods during the day, they are a poor solution since you will be paying for heat all day even if it is not required.

If you only require heat for a couple of hours each day, is MAY be cheaper to just use convector heaters switched on as required.
However this entirely depends on how the property is used and when heat is required.
In any case, proper insulation of the property is essential.

Electric heaters are 100% efficient. All the power used is converted to heat. Even the noise of a fan will be converted to heat when it vibrates your eardrums or the walls.

So all electric heaters will be aaa. The only way you can save is use it less or use a cheaper energy source such as gas.

The place is very well insulated, our current night storage heaters are prob 20-30 years plus maybe and extremely large, we have 3 in the house and last winter only used two

Are there smaller options that will do the same ?

Sponsored Links
You can get small storage heaters, but for the same heat output you will need more of them. The cost of using them remains the same.

From what I have been reading gas is in short supply, which in my head means running low getting more expensive ?

I could be way off the mark tho

I might not be right but I'm never wrong ;)

Gas is NOT in short supply. There is enough gas to last well beyond the lifetime of anyone reading this forum.

There were some estimates made in the 1980s that gas would only last for another 50 years or so - these proved to be grossly incorrect, as since then a lot more gas has been discovered and technology to extract it has improved significantly.

However gas will get more expensive, as extracting it from shale rock and other 'new' sources costs more than previous methods.
This means electricity will be more expensive as well, since a large proportion of electricity is generated from burning gas.

Electric heaters are 100% efficient.

wow, a perfect device. Thats radical. Shall I tell CERN that they wasted all that money on the Large Hadron Collider then?

Have you ever seen the element of a storage radiator when its switched on? It has a tell-tale red glow. That is doing two things:
1. its telling you not to touch it, as it is HOT
2. its telling you that it isn't 100% efficient because some of the energy has been converted to light.

Taylortwocities";p="3159711 said:
2. its telling you that it isn't 100% efficient because some of the energy has been converted to light.

Storage heater are closed devices. The light does not escape and will be turned to heat when it hits the walls of the device. Even if it did escape it would be turned to heat when it is absorbed by the walls of your house or your eyeballs.

Wow the laws of physics have really changed since I studied them.

Noise becomes heat when you hear it?

Light becomes heat when you see it?

You never cease to amaze me with your nonsense :LOL:

Wow careful, I don't want another garza strip but online,

SO basically stick with my existing storage heaters

Yes, stick with your heaters.

Ignore the badinage. Everyone likes to have a dig when someone is talking moopoo. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back