Night storage heaters

Storage heater are closed devices. The light does not escape and will be turned to heat when it hits the walls of the device. Even if it did escape it would be turned to heat when it is absorbed by the walls of your house or your eyeballs.

So if I put a tungsten lamp inside a closed box it instantly becomes 100% efficient? Brilliant, fantastic.

Winston, stop bothering with this forum, get typing your thesis.
Now is your chance to get your name in Scientific American.

Sponsored Links
Wow the laws of physics have really changed since I studied them.

Noise becomes heat when you hear it?

Light becomes heat when you see it?

You never cease to amaze me with your nonsense :LOL:

Ignoring your rudeness for a bit. What do you thing happens to the energy in the noise and light when it is absorbed by your ears and eyes then?

Storage heater are closed devices. The light does not escape and will be turned to heat when it hits the walls of the device. Even if it did escape it would be turned to heat when it is absorbed by the walls of your house or your eyeballs.

So if I put a tungsten lamp inside a closed box it instantly becomes 100% efficient? Brilliant, fantastic.

Winston, stop bothering with this forum, get typing your thesis.
Now is your chance to get your name in Scientific American.

Stop being rude and engage brain.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed. If the box is light tight and a perfect insulator all the electrical energy put in will become heat. Yes 100% efficient as a heater.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't heat them up :LOL:

Sound waves travel into the ear canal until they reach the eardrum. The eardrum passes the vibrations through the middle ear bones or ossicles into the inner ear. The inner ear is shaped like a snail and is also called the cochlea. Inside the cochlea, there are thousands of tiny hair cells. Hair cells change the vibrations into electrical signals that are sent to the brain through the hearing nerve. The brain tells you that you are hearing a sound and what that sound is.

I learnt this in junior school. :rolleyes:

Why don't you just give up and stop wasting everyone's time here?

What happens if I put a speaker in a soundproof box? Will the box get hot?

Not if the speaker is not connected to anything.

Of course the speaker could be a person, in which case the box might warm up a bit, a lot if the speaker gets agitated and spouts a lot of hot air.

But being serious ( and boring ) plastics can be heated hot enough to melt and weld using ultra sonic "sound" energy.

Of course it will (provided, which I assume is what you mean, the speaker is generating sound!). If the speaker was, say, pumping out 100W of sound, what else do you think could happen to that energy other than generating heat?

Kind Regards, John

It doesn't heat them up :LOL:

Sound waves travel into the ear canal until they reach the eardrum. The eardrum passes the vibrations through the middle ear bones or ossicles into the inner ear. The inner ear is shaped like a snail and is also called the cochlea. Inside the cochlea, there are thousands of tiny hair cells. Hair cells change the vibrations into electrical signals that are sent to the brain through the hearing nerve. The brain tells you that you are hearing a sound and what that sound is.

I learnt this in junior school. :rolleyes:

Why don't you just give up and stop wasting everyone's time here?

And why don't you stop being rude?

That sound energy being absorbed by your body ends up as heat.

Then why don't you stop posting drivel?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln

The "reality" of energy was impressed on me at school.

The experiment was measuring the rate of rise in temperature of water with an electric heater. Measuring amps, volts and temperature every so many seconds.

To ensure the water evenly heated there was a motor driven stirrer.

I suggested that the mechanical energy from the stirrer would also heat the water and thus the results would not be accurate

The physic masters's reply was that I was right, and then asked how long it would take me to heat a cup of cold tea by vigorously stirring it.

( Jack Sugarman was a outstanding teacher who motivated and educated at the same time )

The "reality" of energy was impressed on me at school. ... The physic masters's reply was that I was right, and then asked how long it would take me to heat a cup of cold tea by vigorously stirring it.
Yes, being brought down to earth with 'realities' is often very enlightening.

However, the example I gave was much more 'real'! If a speaker were constantly pumping out 100W+ of sound into an essentially 'soundproof' box, then the amount of heating would be very significant - presumably comparable with what one would see with a 100W+ lamp, or whatever, in a lightproof box.

Kind Regards, John

I have a feeling that the heat would be coming from the voice coil.

After all - if it's in a soundproof box there'll be nobody to hear it, so it won't produce any sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back