Nissan Jukes

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tempted by a Nissan Juke, Mot record shows several fails on the front suspension:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.219558809.1650514574.1615916720-2118400379.1612517607

2 August 2014
FAIL
  • Offside Front coil spring broken (2.4.C.1a)

2 December 2017
FAIL

• Nearside Front Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
4 January 2018
FAIL

• Nearside Front Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Would this be a sign that somebody was driving it like an idiot? Seems odd.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a bit of a weak spot on this size of Nissan vehicle, but nothing to worry about.
Similar to the Qashqai, the suspension bushes and bottom joints are easy to repair, and you have the choice of putting new joints in (£15 per side - parts cost) and bushes ( two off per side, similar price) or replacing the wishbone entirely.
No reason for you not to buy the vehicle - I would expect both sides to show similar wear though.
I did this job 2 weeks ago, 13 plate vehicle, petrol, 60k miles. Everything else was in very good condition.
John :)

At least it failed so it would have been sorted?
Some MOT places seem to fail ball joints and bushes with very little movement. Mine failed recently, service place said minimal movement not to worry. MOT place said an inch of movement!
I replaced the ball joint myself... maybe a millimetre of movement in it....

Does the car have a service history? Any items outstanding?

I've all 4 springs break and replaced on my Golf. One actually broke whilst I washing the car - it sounded just like a gun going off close to me. Along with the noise the car shook as the car dropped about half an inch.

Think there is a problem with coil springs coming out of one european factory since the 2000's. Poor quality or re-smelted steel? None of the Honda's we have owned have had a problem with spring failures.

Sponsored Links
I think the big issue is that the springs are made thinner in an attempt to reduce weight.....no vehicle is immune! Allowing the spring to rust may be an issue too.
Battling with a Land Cruiser presently - the one that stiffens the shock absorber up, courtesy of a stepper motor. Nightmare :eek:
John :)

Think there is a problem with coil springs coming out of one european factory since the 2000's. Poor quality or re-smelted steel? None of the Honda's we have owned have had a problem with spring failures.

They usually fail in winter, usually when the springs are cold and the steel more brittle. Most often at low speed or whilst parked - luckily.

They usually fail in winter, usually when the springs are cold and the steel more brittle. Most often at low speed or whilst parked - luckily.

Yes, mine went on Scudo van when parked over night. Drove onto drive, no problems - in morning tried to drive away and steering was jammed and wheel wouldn't rotate. Spring had broken and slid down the shock jamming hard against inside of o/s tyre. Lucky no damage to tyre, brake pipes or low pad warning wires. Had to change spring myself as no way to recover van from narrow drive with one side at front completely locked up. The Chinky spring compressor I bought off Ebay for the job was a bit scary and only just shortened the new spring enough to get it on strut.

Often wonder what would have happened if spring had gone when I was on motorway at 70 MPH. :eek:

And to the OP. Springs do just go - not necessarily because of abuse. Unusually for a van, I drive mine like a little old lady on the way to Sunday church.

Last edited:
Back