Nissan Leaf rear brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably a long shot, this one but has anyone any info on replacing the rear pads on these without the reset tool...its not as if I can leave the engine running :ROFLMAO:
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think you can override it to stay off but I’m not certain how far the piston retracts.
Nissan seem to be omitted from most of the reasonably priced diagnostic tools too which is a pita.
I’ve seen a similar method employed as per the vw calipers where you remove the motor giving you access to a torx fitting to wind back the piston, or does it employ the cable system?
Not sure how confident I’d be to try this though.

Thanks for your interest and replies, gents (y)
I've done the usual youtubing and google surfing but not come up with what I'm looking for....American sites suggest ceramic discs and so on, none of which apply to this particularly unloved 63 plate car.
The front brakes are completely conventional - with the possible exception of a double piston caliper. This maybe accounts for no servo - unless there is an electric vacuum pump somewhere.
There was also a broken front spring which no-one knew about - that was a dealer only part (£75).
I could only see the outer rear pads through the wheel spokes but I'm not prepared to jump in unless I can complete the job....the car being stuck on my drive doesn't appeal :eek:

Sponsored Links
Just a wee update on this one - if anyone is interested!
The rear brakes are conventional, and have a disc / drum set up in one. Adjustment to the parking brake shoes is via the rubber bung in the drum, with the toothed wheel within.
Although the owner said it had an electric handbrake, in fact it doesn't - there is a small pedal top left which ratchets the handbrake cable tightly. Another press releases it. I've seen this on some Mercs but that was a while ago. So - new discs and pads for Wednesday!
Other findings:
Only DOT 3 brake fluid is recommended - don't know why that should be, but that's what it says on the master cylinder cap.
The electric motor is liquid cooled courtesy of a washing machine type water pump on the bottom hose.....the coolant is low on this one.
The front wheels can't be turned manually with the car up in the air so I'm not going to try.
Its got a leaking shock on the rear nearside too :(
Learning curve!

Your'e getting brave John venturing into electric vehicles! They don't have valves or CRT's in them you know and an be a bit dangerous, mains EHT?:eek: :D The electronics should I suppose be the easy part but I'm afraid digital systems have passed me by.:confused:

Peter

Certainly on lifting the bonnet there's hardly anything recognisable......warning signs everywhere! Two sockets under the charging flap also and I don't know why.
However the running gear is completely standard so I'll sort that and get the car through its MOT.
I must say the car was nice to drive in a strange way, with no sound of a vacuum pump for the servo - if there is one.
Regards

Back