No Bleed Valve On Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm trying to undertake bleeding a radiator in my new place as its bubbling and not very hot at the top.

However there seems to be a problem. I can't find the bleed valve!

All the radiators in the house are the same it seems and they all have bleed valves in the same place. However this one seems to have a block covering where the bleed valve would be! Here is an image of where i think the bleed valve should be.

and an image of the other end of the radiator

Other radiators in the house have bleed valves like this

The metal square "cap" sticks out about a cm and is unmovable with a spanner. I don't want to use any more force as i don't know if its there for a reason. The radiator looks to be the same as the other radiators in the house.

Does anyone have a clue as to whats going on here?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Maybe someone broke or lost the little brass screw and called a plumber who has not got any spare so replace it with iron 1/2inch plug?

replace with a air vent from any sheds.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to depressurise the system (& bung the f&e tank on an open vented system) before you take out the 1/2" plug...

Axel's advice may not be necessary if you already have air in the rad, just turn off the valves at either end (count the number of turns on the lockshield end and make sure you wind it back out the same amount) then remove the plug whilst holding a rag underneath, you may find that there's enough air there to take up the pressure and remove the plug without getting wet.

sorry...forgot the rad has valves on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I will make sure to close the valves before attempting this tomorrow. Judging by all the other radiators that are upstairs there is a lot of air in there.

FYI its a pressurised system (Baxi combi boiler) I'm a bit new to this as have only ever had electric heaters before haha!

Why not try it now? You don't need someone to do it for you at great expense. If there's a lot of air in the system then this may need investigating, there shouldn't be really. It will cause corrosion apart from anything else.

Why not try it now? You don't need someone to do it for you at great expense. If there's a lot of air in the system then this may need investigating, there shouldn't be really. It will cause corrosion apart from anything else.

I don't have a new valve to replace the block with. I'm going straight down to the hardware store in the morning!

Oops sorry ignore that, answered the wrong post!! Having said that the air in the system comment still stands...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back