No earth cable on light fitting

Sponsored Links
Either it is Class II and does not require and should not be earthed
This is often stated, but what harm can come from earthing a class 2 appliance?

Because the metal parts could be made live by a fault elsewhere.

You mean the earth might not be earth. Hm, that argument could be applied to a class 1 appliance as well.

Class 2 stuff often gets earthed with interconnections anyway. Take hi-fi, any one of the components could be class 1 and export the earth via connecting leads. Even if this is not the case I would earth it anyway as the sum of the leakage currents can cause a tingle.

You mean the earth might not be earth.
I don't know what that means.

Hm, that argument could be applied to a class 1 appliance as well.
No, by live to earth fault somewhere else - hopefully disconnected by ADS.

Class 2 stuff often gets earthed with interconnections anyway. Take hi-fi, any one of the components could be class 1 and export the earth via connecting leads.
How does an isolated metal case of a Class II appliance become earthed by CPCs elsewhere?

Even if this is not the case I would earth it anyway
Unfortunately I believe you,

as the sum of the leakage currents can cause a tingle.
Have you earthed your cutlery?

Also, you may just as well say that plastic parts should be changed to metal so that YOU can earth them.

Sponsored Links
You mean by the earth wire to the class II appliance becoming live at its other end somehow? The same could happen with a class I appliance, which would make that an argument for omitting the earth connection on the latter.

How does an isolated metal case of a Class II appliance become earthed by CPCs elsewhere?
Audio & video equipment, as Winston has already mentioned, is a prime example, where the case will end up earthed via interconnecting leads connected to other equipment which is earthed.

Or you might just bolt a piece of class II equipment into a rack frame which is earthed. In some cases, merely standing it on top of some other piece of earthed class I equipment will do it.

Last edited:
Oh, come on.

You mean by the earth wire to the class II appliance becoming live at its other end somehow?
Yes, that's what happens in a Live to exposed-conductive-part fault - all the CPCs and earthed parts become live until the OPD operates.

The same could happen with a class I appliance, which would make that an argument for omitting the earth connection on the latter.
Then the OPDs would not operate in a fault in the Class I appliance, would they?

Earthing is not a good thing in itself; it is a necessary evil to operate the OPD so that e-c-ps do not remain live.

Metal parts being prevented from becoming live (because of faults) by double insulation is considered the better option.

Take my case of hi-fi. You have a class 2 amplifier with a metal case. You have say a class 1 FM tuner which is earthed and you connect its output to your amplifier. Voila your isolated metal case becomes earthed.

Take my case of hi-fi. You have a class 2 amplifier with a metal case. You have say a class 1 FM tuner which is earthed and you connect its output to your amplifier. Voila your isolated metal case becomes earthed.
I am not familiar with the appliances but -

Either it doesn't or it's not Class II.

I am not familiar with the appliances but -

Either it doesn't or it's not Class II.

Of course it does. If you interconnect a class 1 and class 2 appliance the class 2 one becomes earthed.

Whatever classification it might or might not fall under officially, there are numerous pieces of audio & video equipment which are supplied with 2-core cords with no earth to the casing, but the casing is electrically connected to the outers of RCA jacks, BNC's, etc., so if you interconnect with a piece of equipment which is earthed, the casing will end up earthed via those interconnections.

That's assuming, as I said before, that it isn't earthed by some more direct means, such as being bolted to a rack frame which is already earthed, either directly or via the earths on other equipment mounted in the same frame.

Whatever classification it might or might not fall under officially, there are numerous pieces of audio & video equipment which are supplied with 2-core cords with no earth to the casing, but the casing is electrically connected to the outers of RCA jacks, BNC's, etc., so if you interconnect with a piece of equipment which is earthed, the casing will end up earthed via those interconnections.
In which case you have ignored the instructions concerning earthing the equipment.

That's assuming, as I said before, that it isn't earthed by some more direct means, such as being bolted to a rack frame which is already earthed, either directly or via the earths on other equipment mounted in the same frame.
Ditto.

The same could happen with a class I appliance, which would make that an argument for omitting the earth connection on the latter.
Then the OPDs would not operate in a fault in the Class I appliance, would they?
Of course not, but neither could a potential be introduced onto the casing of that class I appliance from a fault elsewhere.

The point I was making is that the argument about some external fault making live the casing of a class II appliance which has been earthed anyway applies equally to an appliance which is class I and designed to have its casing earthed from the outset.

The point I was making is that the argument about some external fault making live the casing of a class II appliance which has been earthed anyway applies equally to an appliance which is class I and designed to have its casing earthed from the outset.
I really don't think that warrants a reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back