No fuel.

Actually, the explanation is much much simpler.
Dagenham has a large Nigerian community. I have many Nigerian mates from school & college from the years I grew up here.
The Nigerians in Dagenham comprise only about 30% of the black Africans. On the basis of your friendship with some Nigerians, you can discern the difference between Nigerians and all the other African nationalities.
That's impressive.
Can you list many of the other (about 50) African countries, never mind discern the difference between Nigerians and all the others.
Did these Nigerians not adopt some of the generic Dagenham accent (which Harry Bloomfield could have detected) during their years at school with you?
What about the Cameroonians, or the Beninese, or the Nigeriens? Is there some cut-off point when one accent switches from one to the other as one crosses the border? Or is there a graduated difference from the north to the south, and east to the west?

Sponsored Links
It's not difficult. Eg. Somalis have strange shaped heads.
Bloke I used to work with had an African partner and he told me she came from a particular tribe. He said you could tell them apart from others because their hairline started way back on their heads giving them the appearance of a 10” forehead.

Sponsored Links
Thers is nothing to suggest

1. That Android was near enough to sniff them

2. That he has a pre-human sense of smell programmed with the names of modern nations.

An Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman went into a pub...

Hang on a minute!

How do you know they were English, Irish and Scottish and what relevance is it?

Can you tell just by looking at them or are you going by unjustified stereotypes and just being racist?

And what have you got against the Welsh?

FFS.

FFS.
It's a bit weird to start applying logic and common sense to jokes. They usually rely on stereotypical behaviour to be funny. That stereotypical behaviour often being fantasy scenarios.

Hang on a minute!

How do you know they were English, Irish and Scottish and what relevance is it?

Can you tell just by looking at them or are you going by unjustified stereotypes and just being racist?

And what have you got against the Welsh?

FFS.

Bono and The Edge went into a pub, barman said not U2 again.

I do think the road haulage association hold the bulk of the blame. I can't think they were asleep at the wheel, but thought it to be some one else's problem..

The media and the government are to blame in 2nd & 3rd place. Maybe; but let's not forget the unions, they must take some of the responsibility.

And there is no doubt Brexit has played its part.

Brexit did have effect as some EU drivers left.
Covid had the same effect - decided to catch it where they lived. Also rather difficult to be taught to drive or take a test so fewer new ones than usual.

Gov to blame - well maybe for some of the above but people voted for it other than covid. Media - only mentioned when a number of garages had severe shortages. This could be down to a return to life more like pre covid normality and very probably is. There aren't enough drivers to cope. They need to be hazardous goods drivers too, not just any old HGV.

Gov currently saying they can do something about it - tricky short term. The haulage industry wants an enormous increase in drivers, As some drivers say this may be to drive pay rates down. Probably is in part. Then come a HGV driver's life in UK. Where to take a leak or have a crap, wash, shower, change of clothes etc. The food in transport cafe's may be limited but much much better value than other sources and well prepared too.

The army - well it turns out they need 5 days to train drivers buddies. Bit confused as to why but we may see them about soon. Maybe they are low on hazardous goods and need to train some.

Message really gov bull stuff as usual to a problem that may turn out to be very tricky to handle.

I'm assuming that if they were Nigerian (if they were!), it probably follows that they were also black. So the 'black' probably would have been superfluous.
Unless, that is what he meant, but wanted to avoid using that descriptor in the hope that the inference of being Nigerian carried with it the automatic image that they were black.

I don't see what the problem is about them being Nigerian.... is there a problem with Nigerians?

I don't see what the problem is about them being Nigerian.... is there a problem with Nigerians?
Maybe we're supposed to know that jumping the fuel queues is stereotypical.
Like female drivers not getting out of the way of emergency vehicles.

QUOTE -AngleEyes
'You claim you can discern the difference between a Nigerian from a Zimbabwean, or a Somalian, or a Nigerien?
There are about 50 countries in Africa and you can tell where someone is from, from their accent, or from their appearance? And you can do this on a garage forecourt without recourse to any reference material?'

Did I suggest I could? Does it really matter where they were from precisely? I dare say a Nigerian seeing someone from the UK would identify that someone as being from England, but would it really matter whether they were from England, Scotland, Wales or N Ireland in the great scheme of things?

You do seem to be here just to cause arguments and claim discrimination where there is none. You are therefore blocked.

Last edited:
Various nationalities have a 'look' to them, which gives a fair clue as to their nationality. Likewise when you hear them speak - no need for telepathy at all.

Did I suggest I could? Does it really matter where they were from precisely? I dare say a Nigerian seeing someone from the UK would identify that someone as being from England, but would it really matter whether they were from England, Scotland, Wales or N Ireland in the great scheme of things?
I thought you were suggesting that people can distinguish between Nigerians, Nigeriens, Beninese, Cameroonians, etc, just by looking at them, or hearing them speak.
Are you now suggesting you were talking about other people, not yourself?
I'm sure the average African couldn't tell the difference between a Belgian, and French or Swiss person. A British person from an Australian or New Zealander, etc. by hearing them. And they certainly couldn't tell the difference between Germans and Dutch just by sight.
Now when it comes to recognising Chinese from Vietnamese, or Thais from Indonesians, etc. Your argument starts to become unbelievable.
The more I discuss this the more I think you were talking nonsense.

I've always wanted to find out what it was like to be blocked. Now I will.

Sponsored Links
Back