No hot water but central heating - with a difference!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Horstmann display to turn on my hot water and central heating (excuse not using technical terms, but am trying to keep this as simple as possible!!!).

So, the hot water button when selected was not turning on the hot water.
However, the central heating button turned on the radiators and heated up the water.

Now, we had plumbers install some new radiators last week and replace the head as they said that this was damaged & they believed that this was the problem with the water button not working. However I do believe from speaking to people and this site that it sounds like the motorised valve needs replacing.

The day this work was done, the wierdest thing happened, the hot water button and heating button seemed to have swapped round, the hot water button was turning the heating on but not linking to the thermostat or producing any hot water and the central heating button was not doing anything - so the replacement of the head hadnt made any difference.

During the past week, the buttons seem to switch around without touching it. I am really really confused, can anyone provide a light at the end of the tunnel - or any hot water would be nice!!!! Will the motorise valve sort out our problems or is there are more sinister explanation. I dont want it to just be trial and error.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
can you get access to the valve if so put the water on and see if the valve moves to hot water side, then switch off and do same on heating the valve should motor over to heating, then switch water on as well the valve should now be in the middle
if you get the wrong settings then i would suggest that your plumber doesn't know how to wire up a mid position valve

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for responding- but if the wiring is wrong would it allow the water and heating buttons to swap functionality.i.e water doesnt turn on anything, heating turnd on heating and then the next day the water button switches the heating on and the heating button deos nothing i.e tried to turn on the water?

I have tried to look for the valve but am not really sure what I am looking at - it all looks v complicated!

Sponsored Links
If he took the valve off he might have put it back the wrong way round - I did that once :oops:
MOre likely though is that the wiring's all wrong. VERY common!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back