No hot water or Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having problems today.Got a radiator removed about a week ago and noticed where it has been blanked off it was leaking.Turned off central heating pump and started cutting through pipe when water started gushing out.Went outside to open valve and drained water in system.All seemed good and blanked off pipe again.

However the radiators don't seem to have filled up again and although there is plenty of water coming out the hot taps in the house it's not heating up either.My boiler isn't a combi and when i set the switch to
"24 Hrs" it fires up for about 30 seconds then cuts out,regardless of whether it's set to HW or CH or both.

It would seem as if the Hot water tank hasn't filled either but if my hot taps are still giving out water,albeit cold then is that the case?

i tried bleeding everything this morning and the downstairs radiators are fine now but no water coming out upstairs ones.There is water in the overflow tank in the loft so why won't my hot water tank/radiators/both fill up ?

Getting cold and the thought of a cold shower is not a fun one...PLEASE HELP :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the pipe from the feed and expansion tank ( overflow as you call it ) into the system is blocked. Common fault!

Temporary cure to pour water down the vent pipe which overhangs the expansion tank.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
Sounds as if the pipe from the feed and expansion tank ( overflow as you call it ) into the system is blocked. Common fault!

Temporary cure to pour water down the vent pipe which overhangs the expansion tank.

Tony Glazier
Many thanks Tony,i put my hand in to the feed and expansion tank at the pipe connection and.....pulled ot half a dead bird that had got wedged in it :eek:

As soon as he was out,the water flowed into the pipe :D

Am going to have the dead bird on toast for lunch to celebrate!

Sponsored Links
Clever bird if he managed to take off the insulation and then the cover on the tank!

Still now its working again!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back