No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
Further to my earlier posts, I have been watching my boiler for the last few days and have found out what it is doing. But not why. We have gravity feed hot water and pumped central heating. The timer clock is set, the boiler comes on and then turns itself off after a few minutes. The only way to get hot water is to turn on the central heating for 5 minutes. We then turn the heating off at the thermostat and control panel and the boiler heats the water happily until the time period ends.
Does anyone have a suggestion for this strange behavoiur in what has until now been a reliable but old Potterton Flamenco50s.
Thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if there may be air in the system or the pump is not working.

I know this will sound vague but without knowing what type of system configuration you have its a little difficult for me to guess further!

Tony Glazier

PS You should always keep to the original topic so we can see the background. I have no idea what you may have said before!

Check header tank in loft to see if it has ran dry with stuck ballcock.If as you say the system is gravity fed you could have air in the gravity circs due to no low water in system & when you switch on pump it pumps water to circs

Sponsored Links
Weareleeds you are a GENIUS!!!!
I went up into the loft and checked the header tank. It was dry. Nudged the ballcock and up it filled. YEH!!!. Why couldn't my husband have thought of that. I've told him he has to fit a new ballcock 'cos it is a bit corroded. Thankyou a million times. hHot showers all round at last.
xxxxx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back