No neutral between light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing the lights in my mums house and the two lights appear to have been joined together with only a earth and live cable.

There are neutrals coming into both sets of lights with 3 sets of cables in 1, and 4 sets in the other.

Lights are all wired up and appear to be working absolutely fine but wondering if it poses any issues?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the neutral is not connected but could be?
So I've a switched live into one, then from this I've a live which goes to the other light fitting. This has no neutral on it.

However there's 2 other sets of cables into this with 2 neutrals, and then 3 other sets in the original with 3 neutrals.

I was surprised to see so many sets of cables to be honest, was expecting only 1 feed into the secondary light with a 3 core cable.

Is this on the stairs? You often get something called a borrowed neutral where the neutral is taken from two circuits.

Sponsored Links
Its quite normal when wiring in insulated and sheathed singles, the neutral will go round all the fittings starting from the fuseboard, the live will go round all the switches starting from the fuseboard, and then the switchwire will go from the switch to all the fittings it controls, so it isn't unusual for one fitting to be the first of the two on the neutrals and the second on the lives, if that makes sense. Also pretty common to take the neutral single to the fitting nearest the board, and the live to the fitting nearest the switch and run between fittings in T+E and you could think of it is sending a neutral in one direction and a live in the other if that visualisation works for you?

i think you are saying you have something like this sketch with the red wires including an earth but possibly the blacks don't.
1704472997890.png

Pictures would help us.

I only got a picture of this. You can see the 2 core live and ground on the RHS that's attached to the switch

Attachments

• 20240105_140009.jpg
    20240105_140009.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 39
I've wired them up as they were and the lights work absolutely fine, can't stand it when they're twisted.

From your description I think you put too many reds in the top fitting.

I imagine there is also a T&E running between the fitting as well as the 'single red T&E', something like this:
1704492696492.png

This with an earth in every cable:
1704492344962.png

It's also possible your top/my right may have originally had it's own switch and not be wired that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back