Removed Thorn Strip Light two sets of wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have removed a Thorn strip light and there are two sets of wires the connections were:

Cable 1:
Red to Live 1
Black Neutral
Green Earth

Cable 2
Red to Live 1
Black to Live 2
Green Earth

There are 4 connections on the Thorn (Live 1, Live 2, Neutral and Earth) and only three on the new light (Live Neutral and earth). There is only 1 Switch that controlled the strip light.

I have connected the Two lives to the single live and the black that was neutral to the neutral with both earths to earth (leaving the other live unconnected). This results in the light always being on. I have also tried just connecting cable 1 to the correct terminals but again the light is always on. Any pointers or ideas as to what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the circuit is isolated. Join the two reds together in a connector on their own. Connect both earths to the earth terminal. Connect the black neutral wire to the neutral terminal. Connect the black (switched) live wire to the line (live) terminal.

That worked like a treat, thank you very much for taking time to respond I really appreciate it.

:D

It sounds like an emergency light.

This will operate when there is a power failure.

Where was this situated and in what sort of premises?

If I am right you may be required to replace it with another emergency light or you may be in breach of fire regulations.

Sponsored Links
It was a light in a utility room off the kitchen of a standard house so I doubt if it was an emergency light but could always be wrong. There is no door in the utility to outside so not a fire escape route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back